Advice needed for my plans.

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I dont know exactly where to post this, so I figured since its small block powered and I do have a cam question I would post it hear.

The plan on the drivetrain is this, since I have collected 90% of the parts over the years.

74 Dart Sport
Pre Magnum bone stock roller cam 318 with 302 heads
Weiand action plus (Whichever one is best with the 302 heads), 600 CFM Vac secondary holley
Mechanical Carter fuel pump
Unknown cam with matching springs and custom length pushrods if needed to get the plunger depth right on the lifters
Stocker 1.5 rockers.

904 Transmission with Low Gear 999 planetaries. Non lockup 904 front pump and input shaft. A and A transmission street Non Manual, Normal pattern valvebody with correct kickdown setup (Can never remember the name).
5500 RPM governor weights if I can find them. I know A n A has 6000RPM ones.
Dynamic Converters 10" 2800 Stall convertor (dont have that yet)

8 1/4 Rear end with Sure Grip and 3.55 Gears. 225/60 tires on cop wheels.

SO, Does this sound like a decent plan? As far as the cam I have no idea what to use. What I really want to do is call the cam company and tell them all this stuff and see what they say. But I dont know who to call. Right now I am torn between Hughes and Lunati (Imagine that).

I did just want to see what everybody had to say about this drivetrain. I picked up all the parts over the years because I had wanted to do a 318 build at the time. Now its starting to look like a semi stout 340 is in the works, but the 318 will be first. I want that 340 right, which means time and money.

I will post some pics later this weekend if anybody wants to see, but all it is right now is a car half in the weeds (Long, Screwy Story) and a bunch of preserved parts.

Thanks for reading,
So whatcha think?

I never messed with them, but thats a heck of a deal. I like it.

I suppose machine work for the springs and lift on the heads could be done at the same time as the cam grind. What about piston to valve clearance. Of course I will check it, but how close am I getting to getting into piston machine work?

Not close at all. I'm not even sure you'll need to do anything to the heads other than perhaps machine the guides down and run small valve seals.

-
Back