Advice needed vs 71 Duster rear wheel bearing replacement

-
59D42865-2CCA-4BEF-A26B-3E890CE09648.jpeg

OK... I’ll start by admitting that I attempted this bearing installation today with some unanswered questions and no prior experience with pressing a bearing on with a hydraulic press. I messed up my new bearing because I didn’t use the spacer (shown below the bearing in the above photo). I’ve removed and trashed the broken bearing and want to go at it again - but I’m unclear about how far the bearing goes onto the axle. If I push the bearing too far on...there’s no going back. The outer race of the bearing will pin the retainer against the outer hub if I go too far. How do I judge where to stop? Also.... am I correct that it’s okay to press the bearing on first and then the collar as a separate step?

I just gave the axle a closer look and now realize that the axle diameter steps down very slightly at the line pointed out in the photo above. Using my mic - I determined that the diameter is constant on either side of the line. Does this sound like wear or perhaps the way the axle was machined originally?

-
Back