Advice needed...

-

19dart71

Reaction score
I have been torn for the last few weeks about what decision I should make.

Is it better to keep an original low mileage powerplant ( 318 ) or replace it with a 340 or 360? What kind of modifications would be required to put a big block in it? Would a big block be a good decision over the original engine with only 70000 miles? I am not overly concerned with the topend, I just want a good jump off the line. Is that possible with a 71 318 with 230hp stock? Thanks for any ideas.

Grab a 360 they are out there in pretty good numbers.

Stay small block to minimize having to buy a bunch of extra stuff to swap. If you go BB, you need a lot of parts that don't interchange, like the transmission.

To stuff a big block in there will be a lot of work. You can grab a 360 for cheap and build it to run with or better than the big block for less than it will cost to buy a big block and install it.
Stay small block.

do you care about not being original again.....there are enough wrong cars out there......318 still has lots of life lett......you could make a 340 with a 318 block out of it.......hell of an idea if i say so anyway have fun....

beepah you make a good point! It might be better to leave it with the original motor and try to keep the car "right". How hard is it to get a 318 to 350+hp? I know the norms cam, intake, 4 bbl carb, k&n, headers and exhaust... What else? If I am going to leave the motor in, what else should be done without major reconstruction?

Sometimes it's better to get a different engine and store the original. This also allows you to build what you want and drive it the way you like without trashing the original engine. You can make a 360 look like a 318 if you like.

I was faced with the same question on my restore.
I ask myself do you want to race it or drive it.
The answer: Drive it.
318 works great. I can make it look good and still get about 21 MPG if I stay off the 4BBL. on a trip.
As for headers. Looks good, works bad! 318 needs some back pressure and if not enough sorta messes up the efficiency. Also every RR track and speed bump you hit scrapes.
So I am going with a Edelbrock Performer intake (Polished) and Edelbrock Endurashine 650 CFM 4bbl carb and stock exaulst manifolds Power coated. Dual exhaust.
If you want to race it then build a 360 with good trans and rear.
If you want to drive it then use the 318 and make it look good and run efficiently.
One mans opinion!

-
Back