Advice on 1968 Dart Dart Post Car

-

73smurf

Reaction score
I have the opprotunity to purchase a Southwest (minimal rust) 1968 Dart 2 door Post car. it is a rolling shell, no interior, the exterior is a nice straight shell, complete glass, complete trim, what would kind of $$$ should i offer on a car like this, sorry there is no pictures to put up right now.

This whole adventure started with a four barrel intake. when i picked up my 73 dart i was told it was a two barrel, well i jumped on craigslist and there was a four barrel, so i bought it. when i talked to the buy he ended up sending me pictures of his dart he was thinking of selling which is this 68, for the price i got, i couldn't pass it up, on top of being mostly complete and original, it also came with a spare set of small bolt pattern wheels. in all the chaos of loading the dart i almost forgot my manifold which started everything in the first place. he told me to go around back and get it, sitting next to it was a offenhauser duel 4 barrel manifold for a Mopar 318, i told him i wished i had the money for it and he said that if i left him his four barrel i could take the offenhauser! .well, i picked up the 68 Dart yesterday, it was a real adventure, it did not end until 2:30AM as out tow vehicle dumped its slave cylinder and clutch. the dart is a 2 door sedan, very very original, numbers matching six cylinder car. there is not rear seat and the front seats are incorrect, other than that it is complete. this car is in definate need of a 383 or 440!
100_07781.jpg

100_07771.jpg

100_07761.jpg

100_07751.jpg

less than a 1000 for the car and about 400 in fuel to get it home

Very nice. It looks solid in the pic's. Good find.

Do you have any plans for it yet?

I would like to get a big block in one of my Darts at some point. I may just sit on this one until the market comes back up and let someone who enjoys this body style of dart pick it up.

I think that intake will fit a 318. It is the bolt holes that wont work. A 273 has different bolt angels than the later 318 and the 340,360. But I think you can have them welded up and redrilled for the 318. I don't know for shure though.

That 68 would make for a nice big block GTS clone with a 383 or a 440.

Congatulations on your 68. I'm a sucker for a post car. The last one i bought last winter was a 67 valiant 100 two dr post, slant 6 for $100. Hell no i don't feel bad. I love it. Maybe some day i'll build it. It's screaming for a big block.

-
Back