advice on adjusting edlebrock carb

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
i have a edlebrock 600 cfm electric choke, any tips on adjusting mixture, i have a vacuum gauge if that helps? thanks

Yeah, get your initial timing settings figured out first!

It's a crawl before you walk, walk before you run type of deal.

was that a shot or something i have my timing set, i just need to get my air fuel mixture set

You asked about timing and carb settings and you don't know how much initial advance you have on the engine. From what you've asked and written you DON'T have the timing split right. You ask for help then disregard what gets offered saying you have it right yet can't answer a question asked.

You'll chase your tail like a puppy dog adjusting the carb if the initial timing isn't right FIRST. Just because you have 34 total doesn't mean crap! BTDT and got the free shirt.

Have at it, you probably have the distributor already into the mechanical advance curve at idle, chop the idle a little, advance goes away, engine stumbles and dies.

Last time from me... what is the INITIAL advance at idle? set your dialback light at "0" and see what it reads if you can get it to idle down below 850-950 rpm.

I offered up a way to find your correct initial timing using the vacuum gauge. Have you done that? If not, then take my comments any way you like...

with the way you offered your advice with your exclamation point it looked like you were being wiseguy, sorry and with btdc and get free t shirt i dont understand what you mean, should i check my timing with vacuum hose off at distrubuter and plug hose or plug dist have no more then 10 0r 12 btdc and then set my light at 20 and turn dist counterclockwise and that will give me total of 30 to 32 at about 2800 rpms and should my total be btdc, i am not trying to be wiseguy, just trying to learn sounds like you can help, and sometimes you get more then 1 answer and get confused, thanks and please reply

Like crackedback said, your timing has to be set first.

If you dont have the manual for your carb, go to the Edelbrock site. You can look up the manual on your carb there. It will help you dial in your carb.

For mixture I start with both screws back out 1 1/2 to 2 turns.
Warm the car up.
Screw one side in untill it starts to poop out.
Turn back out untill it sounds better.
Now turn out untill it starts to poop out.
Go back in untill it sounds better.
So another words the best spot is inbetween the inward and outward settings.
Now do the other side.
Always count the turns when you go in or out.

Usually this method will get you very close to optimum performance or highest vacuum.

so you are saying i am correct on how to get my timing right? i am determined to get this right and once i do i will know how and print out copy and never forget. thanks

Yes, you got it right. If your idle is about 800rpm and you have 10-12 initial and add the 20 to it at whatever rpm you want it coming in at then you should be fine. I usually rev it up to about 4k just to make sure it is steady and not wandering around with the light on it. I'm no pro but, my car has ran pretty damn good for the last 10k miles I've put on it.

Try setting the initial with a vacuum gauge. I explained how to do that in another post. If the engine wants 20* initial, give it 20*, don't select a nunmber just because someone says, "It should be "X"." The engine will tell you what it wants. Generally, more initial lead = higher vacuum. The higher the vacuum signal, the easier the carb is to tune at idle. IMHO if you have any camshaft in excess of 215* @ .050, it's going to want more than 12*.

You can't even think about total timing right now. STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT FOR NOW! That's the second part of the equation AFTER you figure out the initial advance requirements.

Like I wrote in another thread, my basically stock 340 (218* @ .050) likes anywhere from 16-20 depending on fuel.

BTDT = Been There, Done That.

-
Back