Advice on buying a Duster

-

Reaction score
I'm looking for some input from the A-body crowd.

I have an opportunity to buy a 72 Duster. Here are some details:

- Numbers matching 318 with 35,000 original miles
- Car drives tight and the 318 feels like it's healthy
- No PS, PB or AC
- 1 repaint in the mid-90s; Paint looks pretty good (driver or respectable at cruise-ins, not a points show car)
- Bumpers have been rechromed
- New dual exhaust
- Strobe graphics on hood and Twister stripes on sides
- Interior is in nice shape
- After market tape deck; original radio included
- 14" Rallye wheels
- Small amount of rust behind rear driver's wheel
- Garaged- owner says tail lights need to be sealed; water leaks in when he washes the car
- Speedometer recently stopped working; needle goes all over the place and it sounds like there are some loose parts inside; needle reads 20 mph in Park
- Loads of documentation on the car (cancelled check from original purchase, build sheet, etc.)
- Seller's asking $5000 and may throw in a shark tooth grille.

What do you think? I thought it was pricey for a 318, but with the price of Mopars and A bodies these days, I've been re-thinking it.

Thanks,

Pictures would help, but it doesn't sound like too bad of a price for an original car in good shape. The only question is "Is it worth it to you?"

It's a nice car I'd have fun driving.

I've been thinking of putting money into my 75 Dart (bought it with an early 70s front clip) and making a 72 clone out of it. That takes money, and then the car will only be a bastardized 75.

The Duster's not my all-time, favorite, ultimate Mopar, but I'd have a nice ride with less money than I'd potentially have into my Dart. I also think there's more of a market for the earlier 70s A bodies compared to a cut up 75 and that I could potentially make some money on the Duster.

Does the price seem high for what cars are selling for these days?

Yup, too much. Just give me the number of the guy, the location of the car and I'll take care of the problem for you. :wink: I really don't think it's too bad and maybe the owner will deal a bit. If the rest of the car is good, it wouldn't be much bother to swap a 360 crate or some thing else into it.

gts340 said:
Yup, too much. Just give me the number of the guy, the location of the car and I'll take care of the problem for you. :wink: I really don't think it's too bad and maybe the owner will deal a bit. If the rest of the car is good, it wouldn't be much bother to swap a 360 crate or some thing else into it.

Damn you beat me to it,

I say go for it!

The only thing left to do is sell the "Board of Directors" (my wife) on it. Then again, I've been told it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"

I would have to agree $5grand don't sound bad for it.

Normal rust spots for them are lower qtrs.,trunk floor exts.,spare tire well and inner fenderwells,if all these areas are solid yes it's definately worth it even if it is a 318 car! :thumleft:

If you buy it and get the sharktooth grille,and if you want to sell the grille let me know i would be interested. :D

-
Back