advice on rust in spare tire well

-

etngeorge

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This 68 dart has rust in spare well of trunk. Rust hole right underneath spare tire bolt and few pinholes about 6-8 inches around spare/fuel tank strap bracket. Remainder of trunk is good. I'm sure someone has dealt with this and what would you recommend? Would you patch it in some way or replace entire trunk pan?

You can patch it in pieces, or you can get a stamped replacment piece for the bottom of the well, or replace the whole trunk floor. I have not seen the hold-down reproduced so I made one that incorporated the fuel tank strap brackets.

trunkjimg_01.jpg

This is what the tire well patch panel looks like. I found the pinholes/cancer ran farther up the sides of the well that I thought and ended up replacing the whole trunk floor. I'll bet yours is a little worse than is readily visible too.

Attachments

• trunkpatch.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 335
Duster440, you are probably correct. I may not be happy until entire pan is replaced. Are the trunk extensions spot welded to trunk pan? Should I brace it before removal?

Duster440, you are probably correct. I may not be happy until entire pan is replaced. Are the trunk extensions spot welded to trunk pan? Should I brace it before removal?

Yeah, you'll just have to check it out closely. The less patchwork the better but if you find pinholes (grind and poke) in numerous places, well...

You shouldn't have to brace anything if you end up replacing the floor. Do a rough cut around all the seams to get rid of the bulk and then go to town with a spot weld cutter.

Hopefully, you'll get lucky like goldduster318.

trunkfimg_01.jpg

Give whitepunkonnitro a shout. I bet he will have what you need very reasonable.

-
Back