Advice - Torque Converter or Gear

-

67Redfish

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking for some informed advice. My set up is in the signature block below (approx 9 to 1 compression). I find the car has plenty of power when I get on it at 45 or 50 mph, but not surprisingly its lacking off the line. To remedy that situation, I am considering either a new torque converter with a higher stall speed (Ultimate, Dynamic, or PTC probably) or changing the rear to a 3.9 or 4.11. I would like the ability to occasionally drive 65-70 mph without feeling like the engine is going to explode so I am inclined towards the torque converter. Which option do you recommend?

Also, I spoke to a transmission shop and they recommended Continental converters. Does anyone have any good/bad information about that brand?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

I've heard of Continental converters but I thought they did mostly stock stuff. Either way a converter is the way to go if you like to hwy cruise at all. I have a PTC 11" converter that stalls about 3k behind my 360 and it works real good with the 3:73 gears. Drives pretty much like a stock converter until I nail it.

Keep your 3:55 gears and go the torque converter route. The guys already gave you the best links to these.

X2 on keeping the gear. As far as Continental, I have known the owner Kris Abrahamson for over 25 years and he is a class act and builds one of the finest converters out there. You can't go wrong with any of the companies named above also.

X2 on keeping the gear. As far as Continenetal, I have known the owner Kris Abrahamson for over 25 years and he is a class act and builds one of the finest converters out there. You can't go wrong with any of the companies named above also.

Trust me i run one of Lenny's converters and so do a LOT of guys at the track..he's the BEST in the bussiness:thumrigh::thumrigh:

-
Back