AFB or AVS for 67 formula s??

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have my 440/4 speed barracuda on the road now but I'm not a big fan of the 750 vac sec holley I have on it at the moment.
I'd like to put a carter on it and was wondering which is the correct model AFB or AVS,
My car is originally a 1967 formula s 383 / 4 speed car but I've got a 440 in it currently. I'd like to find the correct part number carb if possible.

I'm not a fan of vacuum secondaries period. I'm curious what you don't like about the Holley though.

67 was an AFB. Get a 68-71 440 High Performance AVS, 750 cfm. Rebuild it, adjust it, and you will be happy. The 383 AFB was small and you will probably have to richen it up for your 440.

yes 68 model year was the first year of the severe emission regs of that era and the first year of the AVS & the main reason it was developed. As far as those OE carbs go the (earlier) AFB was a far better performance carb than the AVS plus they (AVS's) are all emission calibrated lean possibly including internal systems other than just main metering & things were discombobulated back then with Ma (& general merchandise and furd) trying to meet ever changing gov't regs. & OE AVS 3 step metering rod/tall jets strip kits (needed) are almost non existant these days but you can convert to an eddy strip kit with 2 step rods shorter pri jets & pick a kit with rod dia's jet dia's close to what your AVS has in there. Just me I 'd get one of the modern carbs that has all systems adjustable & get an LM2. For OE I'd get an AFB from a 67 440 & you might call "the carb shop" in Eldon missouri & speak with the owner & pickhis brain. mfr's high quality kits & even mfr's his own rods/jets so I think he knows what he is doing. I've spoken with him, nice guy, stuff is pricey but I'm sure is the best. EDIT fill the domed AVS metering rod caps with JBweld then cover em with scotch tape & turn em over so the mud will settle flat against the scotch tape & let em set up that way for several days cuz the eddy stuff requires flat caps (which the eddys have).

Thanks guys.
The holley is doing its job ok..., a little sluggish on the secondaries but it looks outta Place and I'm slowly collecting period correct bits to bring it back to original spec one day, so might as well get a carter. :)

-
Back