After Market 4.5 inch A-body 8.75 Rear Drums?

-

IndianaDodge

Reaction score
does anyone know of a company that makes or sells after market 4.5inch bolt pattern drums to fit my backing plates on a 71 A-body 8.75 rearend?

I've never found a drum that would work. The drum is narrower on the A Body, so the stock backing plate is closer to the end of the axle than it is on the larger cars. You really need to swap to the correct backing plate.

If your using redrill a body axles you need to have your drums re drilled. If you have aftermarket axles you will need B,C or E body backing plates and drums.

If your using redrill a body axles you need to have your drums re drilled. If you have aftermarket axles you will need B,C or E body backing plates and drums.

Correct-a-mundo!

The brake shoes on a SBP rear are a wacky size (1.75) and the backing plates are offset different than other drums.

My axles are yukon I bought from Mancini, I know of a truck I can get the Drums and backing plates from... Wasnt sure if someone was making drums for this swap!

Is there no way to use diffferent backing plates from a B or E body housing and use the B or E body brake drums?

Yes the B, E, & C body 8.75 backing plates and drums will work with my 4.5inch axles,
I was checking to see if a company out there might be making 4.5inch bolt pattern 10inch drums that would allow me to use the original backing plates and brake hardware from the 4inch bolt pattern 10inch drum!

i used backing plates and drums from a 66 charger. they fit perfectly.

If you want to use the 1.75 backing plates and redrilled axles, ford ranger drums are the closest fit I have found. I put them on my sons 72 Swinger. You may need to grind the lip of the backing plate down 1/8 inch or so, or it may drag on the drum. Ours have been on for year and a half with no problems. Good luck.

I bought a set of Yukon axles from Mancini & HD springs, I know of a couple early 70's trucks I plan to raid for the brakes! and the center sections! maybe find some 3.91s or something. I had two 71 dodges with 3.91s 15 years ago... Wish I had them now!

I was hoping to use redrilled A body 8 3/4 axles and the backing plates and drums from an E Body. Has anyone done this?

Just wanted to double check people's experience once again with 4.5" brake drums. I am not sure the combination I want to run is covered in the thread.

I have SBP 8 3/4 axles drilled to the 4.5 bolt pattern. I also have a set of E Body 2.5" backing plates for 10" drums. Can I use this combination with a 10" E Body drum for 2.5" brake pads or will there be interference issues with this drum / backing plate combo using the SBP drilled axles? If there is minor interference can it be machined out of the lip of the drum or backing plate?

Thanks

Just wanted to double check people's experience once again with 4.5" brake drums. I am not sure the combination I want to run is covered in the thread.

I have SBP 8 3/4 axles drilled to the 4.5 bolt pattern. I also have a set of E Body 2.5" backing plates for 10" drums. Can I use this combination with a 10" E Body drum for 2.5" brake pads or will there be interference issues with this drum / backing plate combo using the SBP drilled axles? If there is minor interference can it be machined out of the lip of the drum or backing plate?

Thanks

The difference is in the dish of the backing plates. If you use B or E body backing plates you can use B or E body drums. I decided to use B body backing plates and drums ('72 Charger) on my '66 Valiant because of parts availability. Getting bigger brakes in the bargain is icing on the cake.

drilling from 4 to 4.5 bolt pattern is highly not reccomended.buy some after market axles with the 4.5,man ,your cutting it close and have weakened the axle flange tremendously, you may regret this, hope noone gets hurt.

-
Back