Aftermarket A/C Install Kits

-
I can't say from personal experience for an A-body, but I checked their "Perfect Fit" (PF) series units for my 67 B-body. It will use your org non-AC heater controls for both A/C, defrost & heater, so that sure helps the orginal dash "look". Have heard they have very good customer phone support. For my car the "PF" series used the org heater hose firewall pass thrus for A/C lines & I would have to drill new holes for the heater hoses (I did not want to drill any more hole thru my firewall). As I remember their units uses the stock mounting points (Now for an A-body this might be different). I would call them & I am sure they would be glad to mail you an instruction booklet for your model & then you then can see if you like how you will have to run the lines & how the blower motor is dealt with).
They also build universal type evaps that come with electrical or vac operation & aftermarket ctl panels. The benefit in using a univ evap, IMO would give you more flexability with hose / line placements.
For my car I may opt to mount the dryer on the front of rad support & run my AC lines high inside my passenger side fenderwell to give the engine compartment a cleaner look. You can even buy an comp mt that places it under the alternator (I'll need an elect fuel pump). This link for the comp mounts;

www.bouchillonperformance.com

I went off your topic I guess, maybe this info will help.
Hopefully someone will write in about the Classic Auto Air's "Perfect Fit" product you asked about. In case you don't have their web site:

www.classicautoair.com

John :-D

Wondering if anyone has used one of these kits. If so, how tough to install and do they work pretty well ?

A/C here in Arizona is almost a must,,,,,,,very soon 100+ degrees.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-7...emQQcategoryZ33547QQihZ004QQitemZ140223216416

Any thoughts or experience is much appreciated. :toothy2::toothy2:

I havn't used this system, but I did buy a kit for a 50 chevy truck I restored for a guy and I bought from these guys. Godd quality and they worked well with me to get the right motor brackets. I live here in Tampa so that helped.

What year is your car? Classic Air's advertising says that the "Perfect Fit System" works with '66 and up.

This is not correct. I have a '63 Dart GT convertible (relevant area of the firewall is the same '63 to '66). The kit will not just bolt-in. Some, but not all of the holes are correct where the old heater motor went through the firewall. A bracket had to be fabricated to support the front of the evaporator. Installation of this bracket would be impossible without the dash removed from the vehicle. The block-off plate for the right-side "summer door" inlet cannot be attached with the supplied two screws. After drilling a hole, one screws will install, but the shape of the inlet precludes installing the other screw. You'll have to glue that end. I don't like losing the summer door.

The condenser is too wide. The pre-bent refrigerant lines are useless on the '63 to '66. You'll have to buy another condenser and form your own lines.

The slant six compressor bracket mounts the compressor too far forward. It comes with a double pulley that mounts to the vibration dampener, with the inner portion of the pulley intended for the power steering belt and the outer portion for the compressor. With the pulley installed, the fan must be mounted further forward, leaving no room for the radiator.

The kit is probably a breeze in a '67 and up a body. That is what it really is designed for. On an earlier a body, too much fabrication is required to justify the price. If I could do it over again, I'd go another route.

Hope this helps.

--Walt Jackson

Walt, Thanks for your input on this system. Still sitting in the box brand new. My car is a 72 and we spent alot of time restoring and installing the original heater box before this unit was acquired. Not sure we want to undo what is already done, but A/C would be sure make the car driveable all year long. :cool:

I'm also sure there would be quite a bit of bracket fabrication needed as I'm running a 6-pack setup and I think I'd run into some clearance issues with the compressor, etc. Also not wanting to drill extra holes.

Maybe, just save it for the next project..........:roll: :lol:

Hi 6pktogo,

Take a look at Bouchellion Perf's low mount AC bracket for your big block, it mounts underneath the alternator and I believe you can use your other factory non-A/C alt & PS brackets & pulleys as well. You will have to use an electric fuel pump with the low mt A/C bracket.

I am like you, I do not want to drill any more holes thru my firewall. While the Classic Auto Air's "Perfect Fit" system uses the OEM heater firewall opening (for A/C lines), you have to drill two more holes for the heater hoses to pass thru (that is how it is for my 67 B-body).
See my post above for my plans... using an universal evaporator.

Hot Rod Air & Vintage Air produce universal evaporators as does Classic. Hot Rod Air even sells mounting plates for their evap units. If your underdash space permits, you might be able to position the new much smaller univ evap so you may keep a functioning fresh air vent (not sure how your OEM heater box attaches to that vent - on my car it is part of the OEM heater box - thats a problem). I have heard of people adapting driver side fresh air vents for passenger side use. Hot Rod Air also has an option for their evaps that allows a fresh air input.

Just some ideas, good luck on your project.

www.hotrodair.com

John 8)

-
Back