Aftermarket accessories using the same senders

-

Birddog1

Reaction score
Running a 360 la on my project. I am getting questions answered before I buy out my shopping carts.
I have Speedhut gauges that came with coolant temp sender.
But I want to run efi that uses its own coolant temp sender.
Can the same sender be used for both accessories or can both senders be used.
Thanks for the info
MRO

No, unless you understand the sensors, and are able to make hardware and software changes to EFI ECU.

The Speedhut water temperature gauge starts at 120F, that seems is much too high for ECU use for warm up and cold start enrichments. You need to use a second sensor that is recommended for use with your particular EFI.

Most EFI system supply 5V with a series resistor for use with temperature sensors for block and intake air sensing. Many aftermarket gauges are 12V powered, so the sensors, and measurement parts are different. Most EFI systems present the temperature information and log it, so mechanical gauges are optional to user.

Last edited:
I happy to use both. So how is this dumb dentist going to use both senders when the intake does not accommodate

It may involve drill and tap. Plumbing with extended fitting, may reduce sensed temperature. There are many ways to add sensors in, intake, heads, hoses, and radiators.

I will be installing my FiTech unit some time in the future on a slant 6. In order to use the FiTech sensors and the sensors that came with my Dakota Digital, I will be using an adapter for the water temperature.
IMG_6769.JPG

I will also be using an adapter to install the Dakota Digital oil pressure sensor and a factory idiot light sensor. I was playing with this as I had everything but decided to go with the shirt and sweet version on the first pic.

IMG_6766.JPG

Thank you all for your brain power. Keep it coming, as I am lacking in man skills and am trying to catch up. Thanks to all

Thank you all for your brain power. Keep it coming, as I am lacking in man skills and am trying to catch up. Thanks to all
if you build a multiple sender set up, make sure any bulbs are in the water flow, or real close to it.

For the oil pressure that will work fine the temp will lag the actual engine temp. I ran out of areas to put senders in and got a coupling that is tapped to put in the upper rad hose works fine when the thermostat is open for a temp gauge.

I will be installing my FiTech unit some time in the future on a slant 6. In order to use the FiTech sensors and the sensors that came with my Dakota Digital, I will be using an adapter for the water temperature. View attachment 1714991599

I will also be using an adapter to install the Dakota Digital oil pressure sensor and a factory idiot light sensor. I was playing with this as I had everything but decided to go with the shirt and sweet version on the first pic.

View attachment 1714991601
What you have built there will work, however consider the weight of all those parts hanging off of that small brass pipe nipple. Reduce the number of parts by eliminating all of the adapters, and use aluminum if you can. I'd use steel for that first nipple and shorten it up. The rest, ideally would be aluminum. The way you have it now, I can nearly guarantee that due to vibration/harmonics the brass nipple will crack eventually, and there goes all your oil!

I happy to use both. So how is this dumb dentist going to use both senders when the intake does not accommodate
I have never seen a 340/360 intake manifold and/or water pump combination that did not have at least 3 places with NPT fittings running into the water passages. It should be easy with the right fittings.

-
Back