Aftermarket Flywheels

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I need to get a flywheel for my 383. I was looking at Summit and all of the flywheels listed say to not be used with a stock style clutch, that when using a performance flywheel a performance clutch must also be used or there could be insufficient clearance between the flywheel bolts and the hub of the clutch. Is this true anyone experience this? I have a used clutch that doesn't have to many miles on it and would like to reuse it.

I have a vintage NOS Shiefer (spell check lol) flywheel for a 68-69 383-440, internal balance engines and it's aluminum....10.5....PM me if interested.

I need a 11", 143 tooth flywheel. And am leaning toward SFI rated ones.

Summit sells American Powertrain stuff. Can't remember if mine is SFI or not though.

The modern day aftermarket stuff (unless you spend a TON) is mostly crap, I would not trust it. I would much rather have a good used factory piece. The metal is much better. JMO.

The modern day aftermarket stuff (unless you spend a TON) is mostly crap, I would not trust it. I would much rather have a good used factory piece. The metal is much better. JMO.

X2 on modern replacement parts, most are made off shore.

If you must buy new spent the $350.00 and get a name brand SFI, centerforce or mcleod make quality products.
Some mcleod flywheels have bolt on weights that you can switch between neutral balance and external balance.

FYI if you you have a neutral balance, and need a 143 tooth 11" flywheel one out of at of a 318 in a 4wd in the 70's will work.
I have an extra.

Definitely don't get the 440 source. It is NOT billet as they say.

Definitely don't get the 440 source. It is NOT billet as they say.

How can you tell that it's not billet? Selling a non billet flywheel as a billet flywheel would put them in big trouble if one of them explodes...big lawsuit...
Google yielded a few results for the 1045 steel of the Source flywheel - as I understand the 1045 is always forged meaning that the flywheel has to be CNCd as it can't be a cast piece.

440 source flywheel is hit or miss on clutch surface finish but it is a quality piece for the price. I have had two one was usable out of the box other one needed turned. both have had the crap beat out of them with zero issues

The surface of mine was roached in 2000 miles while the pressure plate still looked brand new. I would call that a pretty big difference in metallurgy.

The flywheel looked like a brake rotor after 1000 miles of not having a brake pad lining.

personally I would call Jamie @passions performance.
Jamie went out of his way to help me on my 440 flywheel.
even hauled it 2 Carlisle. all depends on ur crank.
good luck.

-
Back