Aftermarket front sway bar choices

-

Magster65

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what's the best choice for an aftermarket sway bar? I've read about them but there's conflicting results.
I need a 'kit' as the car never had one... and stock stuff isn't available around here.
Is it Hellwig or Hotchkis and that's it? Pricey stuff (I'm in Canada).
It's a stock front end with a disc conversion.
* 1967 Dart

Last edited:
Check out Firm Feel. They were making Mopars corner way before they were big money. Usually you only need a front bar.

Last edited:
X2 on Firm Feel. I put one of theirs on my Barracuda. Outer links mount to a supplied bracket that goes on the lower control arm where the shock bolt goes through. Center brackets mount to 2 existing holes in the k-frame. Only had to drill one extra hole in the k-frame for the third bolt. relatively easy to mount up. A friend and I installed mine in just over an hour.

Hellwig makes a hollow front sway bar (much lighter) that is a nice kit and fits well. I put one on my 67 convertible, which is a stock front with K-H disk conversion.

I put the Hotchkis sway bar on my 69 Barracuda. It did not have one before. It made a huge difference. I think I only paid about $250 for it.

Hellwig and Hotchkis are the best choices IMHO. The installation is a little different for each one. Hellwig offers two different front bars, the #5906 which is a solid bar and uses the stock sway bar tab location, and the #55917, which is a hollow bar and uses re-located sway bar tabs (not a big deal if your car doesn't have them already). The Hotchkis bar #22385F is a hollow bar that uses re-located tabs. If you go to Summit and punch in those part numbers they have the instructions for all of them online, you can look at the instructions and see which install suits your skills/equipment better.

Firm Feel has a solid bar the same diameter as the Hellwig #5906, but it costs significantly more. I love Firm Feel, but their sway bars wouldn't be my first choice. They have other parts though that are my first choice every time, like their torsion bars and greasable lower control arm pins.

Not sure what you're planning for tires, but, if you're looking to go 245 or wider in the front you'll NEED the Hellwig #55917 or the Hotchkis. The bars that use the stock sway bar tab location limit the front tire clearance. Not an issue with 15" usually, but if you're doing the pro-touring thing it would be down to those two. If you want it to look more stock, then the #5906 or Firm Feel would be the way to go.

-
Back