Aftermarket fuel gauge problems?

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am thinking of installing an after market fuel gauge, but I'm wondering if I'll need a new sending unit as well. Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.

You need an after-market gauge that matches the ohm range of the factory sending unit.

I can't remember what that range is but someone on here will know.

73 Ohms empty 10 full autometer makes them, just google it Summit and others sell them

i'm running an auto meter programmable fuel gauge with stock sender. works well..

its off just a bit because i set E with a few gallons in the tank. i rather it read E before its actually empty.. :)

i'm running an auto meter programmable fuel gauge with stock sender. works well..

its off just a bit because i set E with a few gallons in the tank. i rather it read E before its actually empty.. :)

Wouldn't work for me...I'd be thinking,"I know there's a little left" - until there wasn't

Cools thanks guys. You rock! I'll look into summit racing's fuel gauges that meet the specs.... Any other recommendations or tips on problems that you guys ran into while installing the gauge?

Since my factory gauge doesnt work, I am looking to put an aftermarket fuel gauge in my Dart.. can you post a couple pics of yours in the car? was it hard to install and hook up? I am using a stock style sending unit so im thinking im gonna go the route you did... Thanks in advance

here are the directions: [ame]http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/0994A.pdf[/ame]

its only power,ground,lights and sending unit wires.... i didn't use the momentary switch like in the directions, i just held the two brown wires together by hand for what was needed.. i also had a few gallons of gas in the car when i set empty. figured it was better to read empty a little early rather then a little late..lol

i ended up putting the fuel gauge in between the speedo and tach after i took this picture.
DSC_9307.jpg

Thanks Joe. Nice custom cluster. I'm still running the stock cluster, so I'll probably have to mount mind under the dash somewhere. Thanks for all the info sir

on the same topic ive heard that the after market fuel gauge is very "bouncy"... any truth?

-
Back