Aftermarket gauge install help

-

mmdoctor

Reaction score
Guys,

Have a '67 notch and planning to install some aftermarket gauges under my dash (recently bought all AutoMeter electric short sweep gauges). Will run oil pressure, water temp, trans temp, and a volt meter (will complete ammeter bypass mod as well when installing volt). All stock gauges currently work and I plan to keep them installed.

Couple questions. Think I'm going to run into a space problem once I add a tee to my existing oil pressure sending unit (see attached pic)...running Magnum 360 with RPM Air Gap. Only have about 1/2" space under vacuum can on side of dizzy. Obviously could spin it to make more room but my timing is spot on right now and don't want to mess with it. Can I install the new AutoMeter oil pressure pickup without using the little 'hat' that goes on top?? I think I've seen a few pictures of that setup but maybe it was a different brand/type of gauge?

As far as wiring, planning to tap into the orange wire for lighting and the blue wire with white tracer underneath dash for switched +12v power...these correct? Was hoping I could find a way to get power without having to cut/splice anything but the 'add-a-circuit' doohickies I've seen are only for spades, not buss fuses (see attached pic).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• oil_pressure_sending_unit_spacing.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 226
  • add_a_circuit_pic.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 218
Go to the fuse block and find the orange wires coming off of it. this is connected to the dash lights. If you wire the aftermarket gauge positive wires to them, the aftermarket gauge lights will come on and dim with the dash lights. The same orange circuit also has a wire going to the radio that you can also tap into sometimes....

I would not try to "tee" the oil pressure output, just hook up the aftermarket gauge tubing to the oil pressure hole.

Why not try piggyback terminals. They allow you to "stack" the flat blade terminals...

View attachment Piggyback single A01 B.jpg

View attachment Piggyback stack A02 B.jpg

View attachment Piggyback stack A04 B.jpg

View attachment Piggyback single A02 B.jpg

-
Back