Aftermarket gauges into stock bezel? (64 Valiant)

-

Ridge911

Reaction score
1964 Valiant convertible: I would like to put an aftermarket voltmeter and coolant gauge into the stock gauge bezel, in place of the stock ammeter and coolant gauge. I have ordered the DemonIVR and plan to get new bulbs and gauge cover stickers. I plan on cleaning and freshening up the cluster. I want to bypass the "fire hazard" ammeter and replace it with a decent voltmeter. I would also like a better coolant gauge that gives more info than just "C-H". I am not trying to "restore" the car, as my goal is just a fun weekend car.

I am asking because I plan on pulling the gauges in the next couple weeks and restoring the cluster on my own. I don't want any gauges mounted anywhere outside the stock gauge bezel, if at all possible.

I've searched around and most direct gauge swaps I've found are on newer a-bodies. The only advice people have given to others in a similar situation is to send the entire cluster out to be restored and upgraded. I don't think it is practical to spend $6-700 out of my budget based on my goals for the car.

Has anyone done this or does anyone have any advice or ideas?

(i typed this on my phone, so I apologize for any grammatical errors)

I'm going with custom gauges on my '64 convertible, but it won't be cheap. I'm ordering a set of 67 Series NVU gauges that will be mounted behind the stock bezel. Turn signal indicator and warning light bulbs will be replaced by LEDs. I've finished reworking the stock gauge mounting system and installed the LEDs, and modifying the bezel is in progress. It will go in for rechroming when I order the gauges.

If not for estimated income tax and property tax time, I'd have the cluster ready to install now.

I have a 64, and the "guages" are part of the charging system, or so I've been told, found a you-tube site that shows how to fix this SCREWY-SYSTEM!!! and then the after market gauges may work for ya,,,,,REALLY BAD SYSTEM ,,,half the time gagues DON'T WORK RIGHT !!!

i replace my amp gage with a volt meter ....it was easy bought a gage from auto zone...you have to take the wires from your amp gage and wire them togeter, and run new wires to your ing side hot and one to ground that it..my have to dill new holes in back of cluster......bonehead

Just to bring some resolution to this thread, I sent my gauges to RedFish (Ben) and he got my stock gauges fixed up and looking great. I strongly recommend him. He is very fair in price and communicates very promptly. I will be praising him to all who ask, and recommending him to those who may need his skills. He definitely did the job right. His site is DemonIVR.com

-
Back