Aftermarket racing seat belts

-

340mopar

Sorgermotorsports
Reaction score
Since the racing season is just underway the thread about the helmet and the driveline loop issue reminded me of an issue about aftermarket seat belts that should be known so you don't get blindsided at the track. I have worked tech at tracks many times and it always surfaces.

If your car reaches a certain ET NHRA states you must use an aftermarket driver restraint system (if your car is fast enough to require a roll bar or cage). This system cannot be older than 2 years from the date of manufacture. Here's were the problem comes in, it seems to be more of a problem with the import guys than the muscle/street car guys. If you replace your seat belts with aftermarket racing belts you now just put yourself under the 2 year rule. Even if your ET does not mandate aftermarket belts, if you use them you have to comply. I know common sense you dictate that a 2 year old belt is way better than a 35 year old belt but a rule is a rule and it has to apply to all.

I though you guys should know just in case you thought about or are using aftermarket racing seat belts

I believe the rule for the 5 point harness is 11.49 or faster,,,also note that if you have a 10 point (or more ) cage a window net is required also, reguardless of the time the car runs. also the 5 point harness are not D.O.T. approved ( not street legal )

What kind of racing harnesses are street legal then? I was always under the impression that the 3/5 pt. harnesses were ok on the street? Glad I'm asking now, as Project 10 Seconds is going to be getting underway soon! :)

I dont know of any harness that are both NHRA and D.O.T. approved..maybe someone else on the site does...you may want to check your local laws they may be legal in your state, but here i know they are not....I have never had a problem using them here on the street, other than trying to get the car to pass safety inspection,

Also as soon as you put a roll bar in the car, regardless of ET you need a 5 point harness I think.

-
Back