aftermarket steering wheel hub issues (trying to get it off)

-

65cudasteve

Reaction score
ok i bought my cuda with an aftermarket grant steering wheel already on the car....i do have the original Valiant steering wheel in very good condition but what my problem is, is that i need that hub (which is more like a spacer really) off of there but i dont know how to get it off. need help!

so i need a steering wheel puller ok gotcha mine broke awhile back ago and i cant use it

I have never needed a puller to remove any steering wheel, bolt the wheel to the hub, remove the nut, grasp wheel with both hands and wiggle left & right as you pull up. That's how i do it.

Just be ready for when it comes off so you don't smash yourself in the mouth with it.

Raise the nut to just above the shaft threads; put your knees under the wheel, pushing up. Smack the nut with a large hammer. Bingo.

I have never needed a puller to remove any steering wheel, bolt the wheel to the hub, remove the nut, grasp wheel with both hands and wiggle left & right as you pull up. That's how i do it.

Just be ready for when it comes off so you don't smash yourself in the mouth with it.

Umm...mine was tight as hell. I used your method and almost knocked myself out when it came loose..lol. I was seeing stars for a while, glad nobody was watching.

LOL.. don't worry Woody, you're not alone. Years ago I saw a Dart sitting on the end of a driveway. Typical Winnipeg salt case. I stopped and asked the owner what was up with it, and was informed he had called one of those scrap pickup places to haul her off to the shredder. He said sure when I asked if I could grab a couple of parts before it left, so I raced home and grabbed some tools.

Back at the car, I started the detrimming process. In the process, I wanted the little chrome seat release lever (bench) but with no allen key, decided to use an old hacksaw blade to cut the lever off. Of course, when the cut completed, my power sawstroke drove the fresh cut edge into my wrist (leaving a scar to this day). After wrapping my profuslely bleeding (should have got stitches) wound, I moved on. Well, just as I'm finishing up, the tow truck shows and me and the driver are having a good laugh at my two hour stripping and flesh wound. He mentions that it still has a good steering wheel left, so I immediately said "Yes, can you give me five to remove it?" So I got it unbolted, and in a fit of pure adrenaline managed to pull it off hitting myself in the forehead so hard I almost blacked out. With stars in my eyes, and blood all over my shirt, I thanked the owner and the tow truck driver and loaded my stuff into my driver Dart trunk. The egg on my forehead lasted almost a week, and was very, very colorful :).

Grant

ugh the steering wheel is off guys im needing the hub off....the hub is acting like a spacer pretty much

cudasteve your gonna need a puller like the one in the pic.below.The factory wheels come off easily enough.But the aftermarket hubs are a softer metal so typically they have been overtightened and are wedged on there pretty good.spray it with a good penetrating oil like PB blaster and let it sit a minimum of 5 minutes before using the puller.Good luck.

steering wheel pulla 003.JPG

-
Back