Ahhhh! Wires...

-

PeaceNGrease

Mopar Fanatic
Reaction score
So my mag swap is still underway,
The plan is swap a lot of the Ram into the Dart;
Heater box, wire harness, steering column, gauges and various other components.
So the most time consuming part is pulling the wiring harness-sheesh what a job.
I'm labeling every plug (orange tags), wire, box I remove and haven't cut a single wire, but Murphy's damn law, I've got 1 unknown plug;
Passenger side by the kick panel and heater box I'm going to have to chase...
Here's a pic so far;
9993D443-52D3-48B2-A9A4-66CA0D886B49_zpswumlefbh.jpg

Pics deceiving, the pile of interior wiring is about 2ft tall!
1 question though;
I'm ready to pull the engine bay wiring into the cab to remove thè harness or the interior into the engine bay, but with all the boxes they won't fit either way thru the firewall hole, for you guys that pulled the wire harness, how did you get it out?
Unplug all the boxes?
I thought about cutting the firewall with my recip saw to ease removal(?)

I'm not too sure because my donor harness was cut at the firewall...BUT they didn't build the truck around the harness so there has to be some sort of sub-harness for removals sake. You might end up having to pull most of the body apart but I think even that has to be unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, it's not going to be easy, think one plug through the hole at a time possibly starting with the smallest plug.

I've looked over the FSM again and it's all compartmentalized, i.e. there is no "harness" section. Each individual component will have associated wiring in the associated section...and the wiring section doesn't have a "removal procedure"
BUT, some people sell harnesses on ebag so they have to come out in and have to be able to be replaced...keep at it and keep us posted, I'm sure someone will need the info sooner or later

If its a grey female connector youre talking about its likely for the over head console stuff if it was so equipped.

It's a black 2 prong female connector with a pink wire and orange and black tracer wire.

I got it accomplished! Sheesh.
I unhooked the door harness' from the main interior harness and broke out my recip saw and cut the firewall holes bigger and slid the enginè bay harness into the interior and pull the entire harness out of the cab all together. (Of course I tagged and labeled everything)
Then I pulled the door harness' and reconnected everything back together into 1 harness, I swear it must have weighed 80lbs!

Wth?
I went over my 99 ram cab to make sure I pulled everything and under the wiper cowl there is a black box about 2"x4" and it has no ports for wiring anywhere on it, what the heck is this "black box"?
Anyone know?
Thanks

-
Back