Air Cleaner Identification & Refurbishment

-

Darticon

Reaction score
I recently bought an air-cleaner assembly off eBay. They had it listed as a "MOPAR AIR CLEANER 4 BBL 2BBL 318 273 340 360 SMALL BLOCK DART DODGE DEMON".

The size and lid configuration looked bang-on but the snorkel looked nothing like any a-body I'd ever seen. The snorkel looks like one I saw on an old Jeep while at the junkyard but the bodies on those were much, much, smaller... almost like the ones from the /6 and 318.

Any ideas what this was off? I only paid $22 for it so I plan on refurbishing it anyways since there is no way in hell I'm paying the $300 people are asking for the real deal original ones :realcrazy:

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I figured Nick's Garage would come up but all those look to be for much earlier cars or performance variants.

Stopped by the junkyard on my way home to check out the smaller air-cleaner I saw on the Jeep and it had the exact same snorkel on it. It was Grand Wagoneer.
Bought it and I'm going to take the snorkel off of it and make this one into a dual snorkel.

The Jeep also had duct hose that fits over the outlet on it to bring in cold air. It was beat to hell though so I hope to find some elsewhere maybe.

Snapped a pic of the small one. This one doesn't have a stove pipe hot-air intake on the bottom, but other than that and the vacuum pod being a #38 instead of an #83, the snorkel is the same construction.

I really think if I can get the vapor doors off of these, keep the vacuum setup for the warm-up stove pipe, this other one could end up looking great. If you look at the pic of the larger one, it has a rectangular area already set to put a second snorkel.

IMG_1600.JPG

I've searched every car/truck/rv I could think of - AMC, Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth... nothing with this sort of emissions setup on the large 4-barrel base. Would still like to know if anyone can help.

Anyhow, I've been working on it since I got it. Took the snorkel off the smaller and added it to the bigger for a second snorkel. Removed the vapor trap doors and gave it a good texture coat. The decal came yesterday and fit perfect. I have the vacuum pods blasted and clear coated them to keep them silver but this UV clear coat is just not drying. I'll get everything hooked up and working as soon as the breather shows up.
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG

-
Back