Air Cond. Question??

-

ron john

Reaction score
I Have a '72 Swinger that has Factory A C. It leaking oil out behind the clutch , Can you replace the front seal by itself?, The AC. works fine other than having to add a small amount of freon every 2 or 3 weeks???

I Have a '72 Swinger that has Factory A C. It leaking oil out behind the clutch , Can you replace the front seal by itself?, The AC. works fine other than having to add a small amount of freon every 2 or 3 weeks???

Yes.

I think it'd probably be easier to just change the compressor. I did a quick search on how to change that seal and found this for you.

First, you must remove the freon gas from the ac system. This is usually done with a vacuum pump. If the system is already empty, then you can proceed to the next step. Next, it is usually easier to remove the compressor from the car and put in a vise or on the workbench. The nextstep would be to remove the clutch assembly. It is usually held on with a nut. Remove the accumulated dirt from around the threads first. A note of caution here: some of these are left handed threads, so be careful. You will have to hold the clutch assemby from turning while you remove the nut. After the nut is removed, you will need a clutch assembly puller. Many of these are nothing more than a bolt and nut combination that threads into the clutch assembly. Then a bolt runs through the center to push against the shaft of the compressor, forcing the clutch to move away from the compressor, and off. After the clutch is off you can remove the shaft seal. It is usually held into the front of the compressor with a large retaining ring. You will need a special pair of pliers that have the appropriate ends on them to grip the retaining ring. The rings usually have small holes in the ends so that the pliers can grab hold of the ends of the ring. Then you would sgueeze the pliers to compress the ring which makes it small enough to remove from the housing. At this point, you can remove the seal. Clean the area where the seal goes and then install the new one. Reverse the proceedure to reinstall the retaining ring and clutch
paying attention that everything is as clean as possible. When installing the clutch, make sure that you have the proper air gap between the clutch plate and the hub. This varies by manufacturer but is usually around .015
to.025 thousanths of an inch or so. Try not to lose any of the oil from the compressor while working on it. Installing plugs in the holes will help. Apply some compressor oil to the seal when installing. Reinstall compresor to vehicle. Suck down the system with a vacuum pump for an hour or so.
Reinstall the appropriate amount of freon gas. Check system performance and if ok, shut off engine and perform a leak test of the system. If you do not have a tester, you can use soapy water. It will buble if there are leaks. This is a general repair statement. Good Luck with the project!

-
Back