Air Conditioning

-

MattP

Reaction score
I'm starting with a 1970 Dart Swinger with no AC running an LA 360 motor.

It's about to be summer here in South Louisiana which means either the Dart will be rarely driven or I need to get to installing some blow cool.

I like the classic auto air system since it seems to be complete and will mount up to the 360 no problem. This is where my question comes in.
I will be swapping a Gen III Hemi next spring. I'm waiting on having my shop to take it apart. Will I be able to use the factory compressor on the 5.7 and have a few lines made up to connect it to the Classic Air System? From what I can tell the only part I'd be out is the Classic Air Sanden compressor. My biggest concern is that I'm overlooking something and will drop the coin for the classic air setup only to have it not work at all with the new hemi.

What do you guys think?

Which compressor comes with the classic air kit? I use a Sanden 7176 Compressor as there was no way I could get the factory hemi compressor to fit.

Just tell the Classic Air folks that you want a system that runs on R134 refridgerent, and the Gen III Hemi compressor will work just fine. If you swap to a spool mount k frame from a 73-up A-body, you can make the compressor fit in the factory location on a car motor. See my thread to see how I made it work. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=173963 If you use a truck motor, the AC compressor is up out of the way to start with. The car Hemis make a cleaner looking install, but you have to fight the AC compressor. Good luck.

Just tell the Classic Air folks that you want a system that runs on R134 refridgerent, and the Gen III Hemi compressor will work just fine. If you swap to a spool mount k frame from a 73-up A-body, you can make the compressor fit in the factory location on a car motor. See my thread to see how I made it work. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=173963 If you use a truck motor, the AC compressor is up out of the way to start with. The car Hemis make a cleaner looking install, but you have to fight the AC compressor. Good luck.

You are braver than I am. I found it much easier to swap compressors than to re-do the k member mount and engine mount.

Which compressor comes with the classic air kit? I use a Sanden 7176 Compressor as there was no way I could get the factory hemi compressor to fit.

That's an idea I didn't consider. Just use the sanden on the Hemi.

I'm probably going to do a truck motor. This setup will be turbocharged once I get it in and running and the truck motor looks like it will provide much more clearance.

-
Back