Air Filter Questions

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have any of you swapped from the traditional paper filter to the newer cotton gauze type or "woven fabric" type?

Curious as my paper one needs to be replaced and had luck with the K&N units on newer cars, yet never threw one on a car with a Carburetor

thx

I use them on all my vehicles including the Barracuda. I prefer the oiled foam when I can find them over the oiled gauze but I have a K&N on the Cuda.

I became sold on this type of filte back in the 60's when I raced motorcyle enduros. Back then bikes came with paper filters and on a long (100+ miles) in dry dusty conditions I would mor often than not would have to stop and take the filter out to knock off the dirt because it was plug to the point of strangling the engine. Plus everything down stream of the filter would be coated with a fine layer of dust. Also if you get a paper filter wet might as well take it out and go without because no air flows until it drys.

When I switched to the oilde foam or oiled guaze no more plugging issues and they did not allow any dust to pass (the down stream areas of the intake were always clean. They are also not effected by getting wet.

-
Back