air grabber setup on an abody

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
1 have a 73 scamp and I was thinking about putting a 71-72 air grabber setup on it...has anyone tried this before ?

Before I converted my '74 Duster over to a Demon front end I gave this some thought, and as luck would have it I also have a '71 Satellite Sebring Plus, which has the hood that is used for the 71/72 air grabber set up.

I took some measurements of the "rise" on my '74 Duster and the "indent" on hood of my '71 Satellite Sebring Plus. Seems to me like someone re-used the measurements from the SSP when they did the Duster, because they're almost identical. The raised section on the '73+ Duster's (which would be the same as a '73 Scamp) is 25" from corner to corner on the nose, 29" wide at the end of the hood, and 45" from the cowl to the "nose" of the rise. The indented section on the Satellite/Roadrunner hood is 24.25" from corner to corner on the nose, 29" wide just before the hood vent, and 45" from the "nose" to just in front of the hood vents.

The only thing you'd have to deal with is the diminishing height of the air grabber bulge, because I think the Satellite/Roadrunner hood has a little more curve to it over the length of the hood. Other than that, it seems like it would be almost perfect.

I never got any further than that, my Satellite is not a project I'm working on right now and those fiberglass air-grabber bubbles aren't cheap. And then I converted my Duster over to a Demon anyway. In addition to the Satellite hood having more curve, the biggest issue I see is that the air grabber bubble would sit inside from the edge of the bump on the Scamp hood, making kind of a stepped section. It would look a lot better if the bubble lined up flush with the body lines on the hood. Maybe the edges of the bubble could be stretched out enough to make it work, I'm not sure how flexible those fiberglass bubbles are. Or if you're good with fiberglass you might just be able to add some material to the air grabber bubble to bring it out to line up with the edges of the body lines on the Scamp hood.

Another thought would be using the earlier air grabber style. Pictures of this car have been around for awhile. It's an earlier Duster too, and the raised hood section from the Road Runner was grafted on. You could probably skip that step with the 73+ hood, since you already have a raised section of hood to work with.

attachment.php

hey 71 nublu...

that 71 orange duster with the 70 road runner "air grabber" looks very good. i am going to do an air grabber on a 69 M-Code barracuda i'm building and am looking at ideas of mopar OEM ram air configurations from 1969 or before. problem is - all the really cool air grabbers came along AFTER 1969!! .... unless you consider the crazy 69 1/2 A12 Roadrunner fiberglass hood "an air grabber"...

attachment.php

That's my Brother's old car, I remember when he built the hood in Dad's garage. Still kills me every time I see a picture, that I couldn't come up with the funds to buy it when he sold it. That is the car that got me into Mopars...so many memories. Didn't look like that when he sold it (see below).

If I ever find a way, I will build myself a similar hood. Absolutely love the look of that hood on a Duster. Don't think it would integrate as well with my '74 hood/grill, though, so might have to change the nose.

Attachments

• Steve's Duster (1).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 181
I debated making a similar set-up for my neon using a headlight door from a '80's Daytona.

-
Back