AL & Theresa's Excellent Mopar Road Trip Adventures

-
Out in the west Texas town of El Paso ,Theresa and I ran into this cantina!
(Intentionally) It has a little history, and is a real place!.
Resized_20211003_163804.jpg
Resized_20211003_173821.jpg
Resized_20211003_173739.jpeg

For anyone who isn't familiar with this, click the link below!

El Paso Marty Robbins El Paso - Google Search

We're holed up here in Van Horn Texas for 4 nights. Ride up into New Mexico to check out Carlsbad Caverns and the Guadalupe mountains. And this appears to be where this takes place.
Resized_20211004_164129.jpeg

So we'll see if we can find the spot.

"Out in the streets of El Paso, I was run over by a horse and kicked by a mule". Or was that Abilene?? Col place. Our oldest boy and family lives at the edge of El Paso. Cotulla.

"Out in the streets of El Paso, I was run over by a horse and kicked by a mule". Or was that Abilene?? Col place. Our oldest boy and family lives at the edge of El Paso. Cotulla.

Out In The West Texas Town Of El Paso
I Fell In Love With A Mexican Girl
Nighttime Would Find Me In Rosa's Cantina
Music Would Play And Felina Would Whirl
Blacker Than Night Were The Eyes Of Felina
Wicked And Evil While Casting A Spell
My Love Was Deep For This Mexican Maiden
I Was In Love, But In Vain I Could Tell
One Night A Wild Young Cowboy Came In
Wild As The West Texas Wind
Dashing And Daring, A Drink He Was Sharing
With Wicked Felina, The Girl That I Loved
So In Anger I Challenged His Right For The Love Of This Maiden
Down Went His Hand For The Gun That He Wore
My Challenge Was Answered In Less Than A Heartbeat
The Handsome Young Stranger Lay Dead On The Floor
Just For A Moment I Stood There In Silence
Shocked By The Foul Evil Deed I Had Done
Many Thoughts Raced Through My Mind As I Stood There
I Had But One Chance And That Was To Run
Out Through The Back Door Of Rosa's I Ran
Out Where The Horses Were Tied
I Caught A Good One, It Looked Like It Could Run
Up On Its Back And Away I Did Ride
Just As Fast As I Could From
The West Texas Town Of El Paso
Out To The Badlands Of New Mexico
Back In El Paso My Life Would Be Worthless
Everything's Gone; In Life Nothing Is Left
It's Been So Long Since I've Seen The Young Maiden
My Love Is Stronger Than My Fear Of Death
I Saddled Up And Away I Did Go
Riding Alone In The Dark
Maybe Tomorrow A Bullet Will Find Me
Tonight Nothing's Worse Than This Pain In My Heart
And At Last Here I Am On The Hill Overlooking El Paso
I Can See Rosa's Cantina Below
My Love

Credit to Marty Robbins - " El Paso"

Marty was a Mopar guy, and raced semi-professionally including several NASCAR races.

Ya know you went into the right Mexican cafe when the menu is in Spanish and NO ONE there speaks a word of English.
And if no one tries to knife ya.:poke::thumbsup::confederateflag::BangHead:

We went up to Carlsbad Caverns yesterday, north out of Van Horn Texas on hwy 54. We did find the entrance for the Blue Origin camp. Google says the own 165 000 acres there. :BangHead:
Resized_20211006_104039.jpg
Resized_20211006_103901.jpg

Went on to the Caverns past the Guadalupe Mountains. Not much there really, just a couple cool looking rock piles.
Resized_20211006_111718.jpg
Resized_20211006_111013.jpg

Now the Carlsbad Caverns were pretty awesome if you are ever close I would recommend taking the self guided tour and stay for the flight of the 1/2 million bats at dusk.
Resized_20211006_120509.jpg
Resized_20211006_130555.jpg
Resized_20211006_141349.jpg

Cool.

I likes me some spelunking.

This roadtrip was supposed to be for 6 weeks!. Turned into over 2 months, still in Texas. Have a stop in Abilene to meet up with Moparmatt then on to Alabama to meet up with another member to pick some parts. Now Theresa's talking a stop in the Smokey Mountains on the long way home. Over 7 thousand miles on the truck and 5 thousand on the bike. Been a long trip.

Get you some Smokey Mountain BBQ.

Any version.

Mmmmm-mmmmm.

Carlsbad is one big hole in the ground. Very cool. I mean really cool. Beautiful cavern. Amazing how many caverns are in Bama and Tennessee.

This roadtrip was supposed to be for 6 weeks!. Turned into over 2 months, still in Texas. Have a stop in Abilene to meet up with Moparmatt then on to Alabama to meet up with another member to pick some parts. Now Theresa's talking a stop in the Smokey Mountains on the long way home. Over 7 thousand miles on the truck and 5 thousand on the bike. Been a long trip.
A trip you will remember for a long time too! Totally jealous

We've had a lot of rain the last few days that beat a lot of the leaves off the trees, but it should still be ok by the time y'all get here. It's cooled off, but far from cold. If it works out....I'll see you at Willy's BBQ! :D

It was great meeting up with y'all. You guys are super nice folks. So much to talk about. Pirates, Buccaneers, witness protection program LoL. Georga and I had a great visit. Got to show off my metal work done so far on the 69 coupe. We all went to dinner at a great local TexMex place called Abuelos. Wish we had much more time to visit. I am looking forward to seeing pix of the rest of your trip. Cant wait for when Georga and I can make a trip like that.

It was great meeting up with y'all. You guys are super nice folks. So much to talk about. Pirates, Buccaneers, witness protection program LoL. Georga and I had a great visit. Got to show off my metal work done so far on the 69 coupe. We all went to dinner at a great local TexMex place called Abuelos. Wish we had much more time to visit. I am looking forward to seeing pix of the rest of your trip. Cant wait for when Georga and I can make a trip like that.
Hey Matt, yeah, it was nice to finally meet up, it was a long trip to get to that point. Left Abilene this morning and in Tuscaloosa tonight. Meeting up with another member in the morning to buy some parts ! Maybe we'll meet up again .

We've had a lot of rain the last few days that beat a lot of the leaves off the trees, but it should still be ok by the time y'all get here. It's cooled off, but far from cold. If it works out....I'll see you at Willy's BBQ! :D
Hey JD.
Doesn't look like we're gonna make it to Franklin this time. Been a long trip , time to get home and get back to normal life !
Maybe next spring! Take care till then.

Great stuff, Al! Thanks for sharing!

Theresa and I met up at Matt and Georgia's house to go out for some Tex-Mex in Abilene.
Had a good time at dinner and went back to their house, got the tour of Matt's shop and cars!. BSed till midnight . Have been friends on the site for a few years, was great to finally meet in person. Left Abilene the next morning and drove all the way to Tuscaloosa Alabama, got a hotel around midnight. Had to meet up with @red67gts . Joe had some 67 dart parts to unload.
So Theresa and I get checked in at the hotel and soon after some crazy syco lady hung out side our window, crying, talking with herself, kept us up most the night. Scared her off a couple times but she kept coming back..
Made it over to meet up with Joe at his house to pick his mopar parts. Wish I had more room and $$$$.

20211010_144958.jpg

BS'd with Joe and his fiancee for a while. Nice people !
Headed home after that. Joe has a 75 A body in the barn he wants gone if anyone close is needing a parts car.
Contact Joe @red67gts for info.
20211010_144921.jpg

Well, as the song says
" What a long strange trip it's been "
Glad to be home. Saw some awesome places, met some nice people and had a great time. Now back to the real world. We scrounged up a whole bunch more Mopar parts to pass along to a good home soon as we get it all sorted out.

Last edited:
Looks like yall are having an absolute blast! That's a once in a lifetime thing! Great pictures.

-
Back