Alignment Help

-
7th

The mechanic who does the work on my 68 Dart is also a collector who is familiar with older model cars as he has a few of his own. He did the last alignment and when we spoke about offset control arm bushings he was completely familiar with them. So, I have a set waiting to go in, and my initial question on this forum was asking if anyone had experience with them and whether or not I would gain enough caster, and also be able to obtain proper camber.....or whether I needed to do more alterations. I am not going to switch to tubular UCA because the entire car is literally brand new from the full nut and bolt restoration. So hopefully I will get enough caster to make the car more fun to drive without having to be on edge waiting for it to scare me by suddenly moving to one side or the other. I'm just wanting to be able to enjoy a leisurely drive, like I was familiar with in my previous Dart.

No worries, I didn't suggest that you needed tubular UCA's. Just that the best you'd do with offset bushings is probably about +3.5° of caster. Which should be enough for the kind of driving you describe, and should definitely keep the car from diving around like you say it does now. You will not, however, get "4 or 5" degrees of caster with just stock UCA's and offset bushings. +5° is tubular UCA territory, and even +4° is pretty unlikely with just offset bushings. Maybe not impossible under certain circumstances, but most cars with offset bushings end up with more like +3° to +3.5° of caster. Which is fine for normal street use with typical tire sizes and suspension.

Did he say why he left the caster so outta wack. Even if he couldn’t get both sides the same he should of got them both pretty close. Does he understand how caster camber works? Just asking. Kim

Agreed. Even if he was intending to use factory alignment specs there shouldn't have been that much cross caster.

At the time of that alignment a couple of months ago, I had not come across the Skosh Chart which put a whole new light on how these older cars should be set up. It sounds like he tried to get it to the factory specs...In speaking with him now it appears we have some reference point from others experience. I know he is willing to work with me, which is good. I am hopeful once I have the new offset bushing installed that we can get close enough to make it fun to drive. Having said that, I live in Alberta, Canada and it is now winter so the car is put away for the next while.

With the feed back from you guys, I will also know more about the range various settings need to be, because nothing is better than actual and factual information from others who have successfully done what I am trying to have done. I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Not entirely sure about the factory alignment, since negative camber was used and the factory spec'd positive camber (for bias ply's). And regardless, that amount of cross-caster isn't within any specification.

With your set up if you can get -.5° of camber, +3° to +3.5° of caster, and 1/16" to 1/8" toe-in you'd be doing good. And that should work fine with the type of driving you describe. A more performance oriented alignment with higher caster numbers will require more aftermarket parts, but I don't think that's necessary for the type of driving you're doing.

-
Back