All 26" shrouds the same

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Motor: 360, .030 over, 9:1 CR, 625 carter, 15 degrees of timing at idle (should be 18, but tuned it back for testing).

Original Setup:
New 2 core 26" radiator
7 blade clutch fan
No shroud
180 stat
50/50 coolant mix
AC water pump

Everything was new but the fan. It ran fine on the highway, even on 100 degree days. Only in traffic did it run hot.

I thought E-fans would be cool. But a single 16" (free) did nothing at all.

Now I have:
Dual 12" fans (2800 CFM total)
3 core 26" radiator
180 stat
25/75 coolant/water mix
Water Wetter
AC water pump

Now it doesn't cool in traffic on a 60 degree night AND the temp creeps up when driving down the highway on a 75 degree day....which NEVER happened until I put these fans on.:angry5:

I am giving it one more try. My friend is loaning me a setup from a Benz CL that supposedly pulls so much air it sucks the leaves off the ground from a 4 ft height. It fits right over the 26" radiator too.

If this doesn't work I am going to abandon the E-fan concept. I never ran the 3 core radiator with the mechanical fan, but I suspect it will work well, especially once I get a shroud on it.

Are all of the 26" radiator fan shrouds the same for A,B & E bodies, or do I need to get one specific for an A-body?

Also, should I stick with the factory 7 blade clutch AC fan, or go to the MP 5 blade fan that is supposedly so wonderful?

One other item brought up was my trans. I now have a 518 w/ lockup but the lockup and OD are not wired in yet (pending axle rebuild and gear change). People have said that may be introducing too much heat with the lockup not working, but I have the fluid going through a B&M Hi-E plate cooler before it hits the radiator. Some even suggested I skip the radiator cooler altogether since it's doing almost nothing compared to the plate cooler. I am also running larger cooler lines for the 518.

Any input is welcome. I have covered all that I know. Coolant is good, car is tuned pretty decent, not running lean, stat has been stove tested, hoses are not collapsing and radiator is flowing well.

for sure, if you get the trans fluid out of the radiator, it will help both engine temps and also trans temps. use a separate cooler and get it out of the radiator. You'd be surprised the difference !

I already have this B&M 4.5 x 11 x 1.5" plate cooler in the system before the radiator. It is physically mounted 2" in front of the radiator on it's own bracket. However, I am going to rerun the lines and skip the radiator altogether.

bmm-70265_w.jpg

I put a 26" shroud in my Dart (part# 2998326). I can take some critical measurements tomorrow if they'd help confirm the fit.

Much appreciated. I need to try this Benz fan set first..it IS free afterall.

I'll have to check my radiator because I didn't think the fan was offset, but maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

Geesh, I got the Benz fan today from my friend and it's a monster.

It's from a CL63..5.0L V12 and pulls through 6 different coolers (engine, trans, condenser, power steering, intercooler, oil).

It is only 3.5" thick so it should fit, and the shroud fits almost exactly over the radiator core. It even has as start capacitor to keep it from slamming the cars electrical system during startup.

I know this is an old thread...........but, how did the Benz fan work out?

-
Back