ALL YOU SIXER GUYS OUT THERE!! C'mere!

-

Mopar318Guy

bear jew
Reaction score
im thinking of building a pretty potent sixxer. 225. im thinking of porting and pollishing the stock 72 head, bowl blend as well. and makin an intake to suit 2 2bbls. anyone know of a cheap place to get 2 piece headers. what cam would you suggest. im thinkin maybe 230 for hp as a goal. with the head work it might be obtainable. any of your slant six secrets as far as hp please share. this might make me change my whole thinking. might sell my 318 and get a 3 speed for a slant 6. i need some input

i have the clifford performance headers. they are two piece. these are the only ones i know of. i also have an offenhauser intake with a holley 390. i am going with a mild cam from erson. oh and my block is bored .040 over. something you may want to do is put larger valves in the head, and take at least .040 off of it to raise compression. i havent done this yet, due to money. but you should check out slantsix.org, there are alot of discussions on this topic. you should deffinitly yank out that boring 318, slap in the leaning tower of power, and sit back and watch everyones face while they think to themselves "why"

Chrysler purposely put a one barrel carb on the slant.The power levels were reaching that of the 318 with better economy,and they didnt want to lose out on 318 sales:read2: Not to mention the slant is wayyy cooler8)

The same here as slantscamp :-D due to money.
And getting a exhaust manifold modified for my 170/low deck.
One day I will be buzzing around with my half dozen :cheers:

And here is the clifford performance headers that will fit your 225/
But will not fit my 170/ lowdeck

cook and fish 908.jpg

cook and fish 507.jpg

MEMIKE knows what its all about.
that stuff wasnt cheap either.
6 poppers rule

I had a built \6 in my Barracuda before I did the 360 swap.

Slant6.jpg

It was a 225 with a Comp 252S cam, offy 4bbl intake, 390cfm 4bbl, headers and dual exahust. The head was stock with the exception of decking 0.060" off it to raise the compression. I figure this engine had in the 180-190 HP range based on the but dyno. It ran very well but I just didn't want to invest the money into it when you can get so much more with less effort from a v8.

Hum lots of info could be passed on here. First Erson Cams has a group buy going on for slant six.org so tell them your a member. They also have springs lifters etc. .100 off the head will increase your compression, 1.7 and 1.44 valves from engine builder on ebay are the best bang for your buck. .60 over on the bore is a common size.
A little bit about cam choices think about what you want and what combination of parts you will use.......BIGGER is NOT better with a slant you can over cam them and make them a DOG. ALWAYS CC your head first so you know how much to take off.
ASK Questions that are specfic not just I want to build a killer engine.
My 02.
Frank:snakeman:

hmmm....from what I've read....."too much cam" depends on your definition of "streetable". Mine has a solid Schneider regrind with 264 duration and .480 lift........and I drove it everyday.....getting 19-21 mpg. 8) In fact.....if I built another Slant six with enough grunt to need a 4-bbl....I wouldn't put anything less than a 270 duration cam in it. And Degree it.........degree it, degree it. And then advance it *alot*. center it to....eh...about 104.
My .02...

Chrysler purposely put a one barrel carb on the slant.The power levels were reaching that of the 318 with better economy,and they didnt want to lose out on 318 sales:read2: Not to mention the slant is wayyy cooler8)

What are you talking about?????
318 poly which was the only motor out during the slant intro had 235+HP, even more with the 4brl & dual 4brl version.
It took 9.7comp , cam,and a 4 brl with factory header [hyperpack] to get 198HP out of a 225cid, and the 170cid configured as above with 10.1+comp to get what the stock 1 brl 225cid was rated at=145hp

The slant still rules, but what you said makes no sense to me.
If you wanna compare to a 273 then the power comparison starts to make sense, almost, but not the reasoning behind the 1 brl...

I would use 1.70-1.44 valves, port the head, headers
[single full length to 2 1/4 exhaust] mill .080 off the head and .030 off the block, then if not expensive aftermarket pistons, lighten the fk out of some clevite stockers .030 over, 276* .490 lift solid cam with cox bros 1.6 roller rockers, and the 390cfm holley or 2 webbers on a opened up offy manifold.

You could at home with good bits cross drill the crank.....

What are you talking about?????
318 poly which was the only motor out during the slant intro had 235+HP, even more with the 4brl & dual 4brl version.
It took 9.7comp , cam,and a 4 brl with factory header [hyperpack] to get 198HP out of a 225cid, and the 170cid configured as above with 10.1+comp to get what the stock 1 brl 225cid was rated at=145hp

The slant still rules, but what you said makes no sense to me.
If you wanna compare to a 273 then the power comparison starts to make sense, almost, but not the reasoning behind the 1 brl...

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178202&highlight=chrysler+museum#178202

Have a read. Check out agressive teds post about a visit to the Chrysler Museum!

-
Back