ALLSTATE CARBURETOR update.

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
The carb came and the choke cover was smashed, owner said he would ship a new one..great, that is looked after LOL.
I installed it today and torqued it down as per Holley site instructions, 60 to 80 lbs. I got to 50bs and three of the four corners broke. I drilled the holes a size bigger to accommodate the studs on the intake...was that my mistake???? The base is aluminum, it seemed to crack very easy. Should have bought new LOL.
AL

60-80 FOOT lbs. for a carb to intake bolt??????????

Are you sure it wasn't 60-80 INCH lbs????????

Yes Rick my mistake inch lbs..I think my shitty torque wrench is out a bit, ok I am out a bit...LOL. I thought it was 5 inches to the pound...should have looked it up first to double check.
AL

OMG, you know I only use torque wrenches on like head, main and rod bolts. All else you can do by feel. And carb bolts do not have to be too tight at all, just all snug down. I mean heck you always can tighten them some more later on.

Well I always say live and learn. You need a new base plate now. Torque wrenches can get you in to more trouble then without. They are so long you don't feel how freaken tight the bolts are as you tighten the bolts down.

If I was you, I would use a small 1/4 inch socket wrench to tighten carbs, valve covers, oil pans. Then you can feel how tight 10-15 lbs can really be, its alot, in many cases more then enough.

OMG, you know I only use torque wrenches on like head, main and rod bolts. All else you can do by feel. And carb bolts do not have to be too tight at all, just all snug down. I mean heck you always can tighten them some more later on.

Well I always say live and learn. You need a new base plate now. Torque wrenches can get you in to more trouble then without. They are so long you don't feel how freaken tight the bolts are as you tighten the bolts down.

If I was you, I would use a small 1/4 inch socket wrench to tighten carbs, valve covers, oil pans. Then you can feel how tight 10-15 lbs can really be, its alot, in many cases more then enough.

all about leverage...

60-80 FOOT lbs. for a carb to intake bolt??????????

Are you sure it wasn't 60-80 INCH lbs????????

I don't care what it says, you don't torque a intake manifold 60 lbs, let alone a carb, ha ha.

I do recall my teenager days. Some speed shop that was run by some cool hippie guys told me like my first time there, many people over tighten carb bolts. That if the gasket is good and the carb is flat, the bolts can just be snug down, it be fine. That many people seem to think they gotta be super tight.

Even a slight leak at the base will cause zero problems, at most a rougher idle. **** your pcv valve is a big leak.

But nobody ever told you, so U learn the hard way. Well when you learn like that, you never forget. Try to move on and talk to Allstate, maybe they will be of some good help. I'm sure they seen it before

-
Back