Almost driving the fish! just need some pushrod help.

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Alright, well after 3.5 years, my 68 barracuda is a couple weeks away from hitting the road. My problem is that I'm running short on time (about to be shipped out in a couple months) and I need help with pushrod lengths. I was wondering if anyone has a similar setup and if so, could you please tell me the pushrod length that you're running? I have the COMP CAMS XR280-HR cam, Edelbrock RPM heads, comp cams pro magnum roller rockers, and my head gasket is .042" thick. The stock pushrod length is about 6.75". Im not looking to dial in the perfect pushrod length I just really want something that will get me on the road and allow me to enjoy my car for a couple months. Thanks -Jeremy.

Careful...don't skimp out on pushrods with something that sorta fits. That is a great way to NOT be driving your car for a very long time while you rebuild after a valve-train failure.

Get a pushrod checker. Measure for the correct length of the pushrod (usually 1-2 threads exposed on the adjuster on the rocker). Call a place like Smith Brothers and give them the specs, or do what I did....put some tape on the lock nuts of the pushrod checker and mail it to them and say I need 16 of these :D. Be sure to let them know spring pressures and such so they can get you the correct thickness.

I used Smith Brothers for my pushrods, they did a great job, and fast too. http://www.pushrods.net/

Here is a link for a pushrod checker...not sure if you need ball/cup or ball/ball, but this is what they look like.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-9000/overview/

What he said. X2 on Smith Brothers and not skimping on the pushrods. Them buggers have an important job to do!

Sage advice,here. Fly fish ,nailed it. The last place,you want to rush. Spend 25-30 bucks,and some time.

What do you guys think about the complete adjustable set? For like a year or so? I guess a lot of dragsters use them but others don't trust them. My rockers are not adjustable.

Jeremy,remember i mentioned smith bros .they will send you a length checker and you mail it back.with your combo you need to do it right.....

yeah I'm so close to finally starting her up that I'm getting impatient. I'll call smith bros and get on that length checker first thing in the morning. Thanks everyone.

-
Back