Alright Holley guys, build me a 650 D/P

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
At the moment it looks like I'll be picking up a 4777 'Classic' Double Pumper, 650cfm for the 318. Never messed with a Holley really, I do have a book that I'll be reading up on. (If i dont get this 4777, i will be getting a 650 dp anyway so carry on lol)

Anyway the build is.
318 - .030
9.7:1 compression
91/100octane
Stock port J-heads, 2.02
Comp .480lift/280duration Hyd cam
Headers with cutouts
Performer RPM intake
(currently 650 Thunder AVS carb)
MSD 6A, Helicore wires, coil
Soon to be recurved distributor by FBO

Transmixer is a 904
3,500footbrake, 3,900flash 9 1/2" Dynamic
Low gear set
TF-2 shift kit

Rear is a 8 3/4
3.91 Clutch SG

1.9 60ft
8.9 1/8th
14.0 1/4 @ 95
3,600lbs
~5,000ft air (currently)

I'm looking to get a base of what jets and such I should put in. Very new to Holleys at the moment so play nice lol. I know there are a few different bodies out there, cams, jets, and a whole bunch of other things to tinker with. I'm looking for the best bang for buck really. Anyone give me a base on what size jets and such i should start with?

Looking for the guys who have messed with these to kinda head me in the right direction, 'you'll need a ___ jet kit, cam kit, etc, etc'

Thanks guys for any advice.

i hate holleys...tune,tune and tune some more...under the hood screwing with them constantly...
id stick with the AVS...
I got tired of holleys and bought a carter...put a kit in it, jetted it up 1 step primary, 2 steps secondary and never had to touch it again and it works way better than the holley ever did...and you only have to buy 1 tuning kit

I sent you a PM for a good contact. He rebuilt my Holley and it was dead on, except for some minor tuning. I'm sure he'll be able to give you some good advice. My Holley is super reliable, no maintennace required.

I'm with Sanguine on this one. :) I love my Carter AFB I've had on my car for the past 20+ years. On a more serious note, Goody, do you think a double-pumper is a wise choice for your combination? Usually a vac. secondary carb is preferred with an automatic tranny, especially on a small block in a fairly heavy car.

I'm running a 600 Holley DP on a slightly milder 318 with 904/2800 stall, 3.90 gears in a '75 Dart Sport. I have no driveability problems or low speed torque issues. If the carb is set-up correctly, there shouldn't be any driveability issues. Now fuel economy is a whole different issue. I'm sure the vacuum secondary would get better fuel economy than a double pumper, but power wise, throttle response is excellent with my DP.

OldVart said:
I'm with Sanguine on this one. :) I love my Carter AFB I've had on my car for the past 20+ years. On a more serious note, Goody, do you think a double-pumper is a wise choice for your combination? Usually a vac. secondary carb is preferred with an automatic tranny, especially on a small block in a fairly heavy car.

I love my AVS, but I can't help to think what 'else' is out there. For the most part this will be a 'strip' carb and the avs for daily. And yes, with a converter that flashes at 3,900rpm when i nail it...a double pumper should work well. If i had say a 2,800stall...might be a different story.

I'm looking for a all around 'little' better race setup than with the eddie. Getting the carb for $75...wortha shot imo.

I also hate Holley's. Get them tuned perfect and bang good ole Illinois weather changes and it's a dog. Had much better luck with Carter's. But if your getting it for $75 why the heck not try it. It's always fun to play as long as you don't get your eyebrows burned off (been there, done that). Anyways at that price you can always get your money back out of it.
As far as jets, etc. They come with 71's stock front and back so that's where I'd start. Alot of factors determine which way you'll have to go with jetting. You could run a vacuum check with your afb on it first to get an idea of which power valve to run. For instance if it pulls 10 inches of idle vacuum you'd probably want a 5.5 inch PV. I know this isn't much info as far as supertuning goes but my experience with Holley's has been you might as well start right where they set them and go from there because what works for one guy might not work for another due to differences in combo's, altitude, temp., etc. which Holley's seem to be more temperamental about.

BTW: Make sure and get the no stick gaskets. You'll need them.

Do yourself a favor and install a power valve saver, so if it pops back through the carb you don't blow out your power valve. They run about $7.00 - 13.00 through Summit.
If you really want to do it right, spend the money and buy a Jet kit ($38.95)and an accelerator pump tuning kit ($99.95) It's a little pricey but it sure is nice having all the jets, shooters, cams, you'll need when your trying to dial it in, especially at the track.
Also if you have one of those one piece Mr. Gasket chrome fuel lines like I do, you might want to think about cutting a piece out of the middle and replacing it with some braided or regular fuel line. That way when you are removing the bowls to change jets you don't have to keep removing the solid fuel line.

I can't figure out where all the bad Holley vibe comes from. The 650DP on mine is about the only thing I haven't touched on the car since I got it and it runs great, with the excpetion of relatively poor fuel mileage, mostly because I can't keep my right foot off the skinny pedal. Plugs burn clean/healthy color even after bringing it up to altitude here in CO. Great throttle response everywhere in the rpm range. I suspect it was jetted lean down in Kansas where I bought it and that is why I have not had to mess with it yet. I have a rebuilt cheapo 41something OEM vac sec on my 440hp and it is the same way after a couple jet adjustments. I love my Holleys!

I agree with Ace. The only problem I've ever had with Holley's is when some trash gets into the bowls, but any carb will crap out if that's the case. My 6oo DP is dead-on, with some minor tuning. I see a lot of worn out Holley's for sale at swap meets, maybe that's part of the problem with the Holley hater's club.

Charles Davis Carbs. in North Carolina is one of the best I have ever seen. I have seen many of carb builders and he is by far the best of those I know. He had a ally. vac. secondary Holley carb. before Holley did. I have called him and told him what I wanted or what it was going on and never thought twice about it. He run tests every carb. before he sends it out.

Start with the stock jetting. Worset thing you can do is start playing around with the carb before you try it. You will likely have to go up in jet sizes because the carb is on the big side for a 318. Depending on your idle in gear manifold vacuum you may need to change the power valve.

Remember an over size carb will require larger jets and an undersize carb will require smaller jets. Reason for the larger jets on an oversize carb is you have less air velocity through the carb to create a vacuum signal to pull fuel from the bowls so you need to jet up to compensate. And, vise versa.

FWIW, never had an issue with a Holley, if you size the carb properly for the application they are mostly a bolt on and forget.

-
Back