Also having trouble with the six....

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, came from Moparts and before that, Jeepforum.

I bought my '71 Demon yesterday and have frantically been attempting to get it running by mid-week. It hasn't been started in a number of years. I will say though, that it was running before the previous owner left it to sit.

Here are some of the new parts I threw at it before real diagnosis of any problems:

New battery, ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, plug wires, spark plugs, and fuel filter.

the engine turns over. the coil-to-distributor wire, however, does not arc when pulled out of the distributor during ignition and held near a ground.

The fuel pump is dragging fuel through the filter (which is clear) which is good, so I don't suspect the fuel pump.

I am at a loss. I will replace the ballast resistor tomorrow, but if that doesn't work, I wouldn't even know where to look. Any ideas?

Can you verify the motor and carb you are using? Are you actually getting fuel in the carb (and only to the carb). Also, remember that new parts are sometimes faulty. It would be wise to check your ballast but test the coil as well. Let us know what happens after you check the ballast. They usually are the main culprit in a case like this

Can you verify the motor and carb you are using? Are you actually getting fuel in the carb (and only to the carb). Also, remember that new parts are sometimes faulty. It would be wise to check your ballast but test the coil as well. Let us know what happens after you check the ballast. They usually are the main culprit in a case like this

It's a 71 C-Code Demon. Not sure what carb I'm using. I will definitely check the carb tomorrow as well as the coil. Thanks a bunch!

-
Back