alt help

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
is a 65 amp alt a upgrade?

when i run my head lights at nite the needle on the amp gauge moves to the left and then when i turn on the gauges and tail lights it moves all the way left and my tach acts up...this is the first time the tach has acted up

and the switch i have the gauges and tail lights hooked up to is getting warm so i think i have to seperate my gauges from my tail lights so that not everything is going off one switch.. this is why im asking about a alt upgrade

You might want to start by cleaning the connector post and connectors to the back of the ammeter. That is a notorious spot for MOPAR voltage problems.

when i push the brakes the amp gauge goes to the left and when i let off it goes back. When i put the car in R, it moves to the left. When i Put the Headlights on and then my Gauges, the gauges dim and the Amp gauge goes pretty far to the LEft and a Buzard goes off unitl I turn the HEadlights or the gauges and rear tail lights off. I dont know what it is

im sorry but this is really frustrating and i hate wiring, so i guess ill deal with it and not run both or sumthing. I just really dont want to deal with this. Almost to the point were i want to sell it jsut becasue the electical sucks =(

ya i know i just am really mad, but if upgradeing the alt to a 65amp would work i would do it

Sorry but upgrading the alt. may not be the solution. If you have a problem there (which it sounds like you do) upgrading may just start a fire.

Electrical is one of the easiest parts to work on. It's usually not greasy, doesn't weigh much, and you usually don't have to work on your back on a creeper.

First thing I'd do is remove the alt. and regulator and take them to a auto supply and have them tested. May only be one of them is bad. If that don't reveal anything read through those articles Goody posted and you should get an idea where to start.

BTW: If it helps understand electrical better think of wires like water lines and switches are water valves. The principle of how they work is basically the same. Water flows through hoses and electricity flows through wires. A water valve shuts off the flow of water just like a switch shuts off electrical flow. A restriction in a pipe will slow water flow just like a bad electrical connection slows current flow. When that happens you get heat (wasted energy) so anything that seems to be unusually hot (except the ballast resistor) is a possibly a problem.

oook got it, i also disconnected my lights for my gauges to save some power for now

FIRST before you waste your money on some whiz-bang alternator it is time to do some basic electrical maintenance.

What you describe is not totally abnormal to begin with. When you hit the brakes, turn on the lights, wipers, heater lighter, etc... there will be a momentary deflection of the ammeter needle. With the engine running 1500 RPM or so, it should correct back within a second or so. If not, you have a conductivity problem (a 35 AMP alternator is more than plenty for your car with original systems.)

As mentioned above, voltage is water pressure, amperage is flow. If your pipes are clogged, it doesn't matter how much water is in the tower, you'll only get just so much out of the faucet! Time to clean the pipes. Good news it this is a super cheap fix (a can of electric contact cleaner, 2 packets of dielectric grease, and some 220 grit sandpaper).

DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE ANYTIME YOU TOUCH ANY ELECTRICAL COMPONENT!!!!!

Start with your battery cables: Clean the posts and lugs with one of those wire brush cleaners (if you don't have one get one and keep it in your trunk tool box). Get them nice and bright.

Next, clean the other ends of the cables: The NEG attaches to the left cylinder head, the POS attaches to the main binding post on the starter. Brighten all faying surfaces of the connections with sandpaper and wash down with contact cleaner. Reassemble clean and tight.

You have (2) body grounds: One is a 10 AWG wire from the NEG battery cable lug to the radiator support and the other is between the right cylinder head and the firewall. Clean both per the above. If you see any corroded up ghetto-assed crimp connectors on the battery cable to chassis ground, THAT'S probably your problem.

This brings us to the firewall connector. Even if the problem is much better now, and it likely will be, you need to clean this part! There are three connector plugs which can be removed on the engine compartment side. You can generally phenagle them apart with a screwdriver and a little bad language. Clean per the above but pay close attention to the 10AWG wires. These are the "everything wires" or main DC bus. Every single electron from your alternator goes through this connector to the dash, through the ammeter and then to the ignition or headlight switch for load distribution. Those lucky electrons which don't get tasked to run some bulb somewhere go back through the firewall connector and on to charge the battery. Long story short, everything goes through this connector. It WILL melt down if it hasn't already. Clean it and pack with dielectric grease.

Lights come next: Clean each socket and fill with dielectric grease and a new bulb. Don't even think about using steel wool! Headlight buckets have separate ground wires, clean their connections. Rinse, lather, and repeat.

Dashboard fun comes next, check the grounds first.

Long story short, your description sounds like a bad ground well upstream.

ok thanks will check, not sure if i have some of those grounds

BTW: If it helps understand electrical better think of wires like water lines and switches are water valves. The principle of how they work is basically the same. Water flows through hoses and electricity flows through wires. A water valve shuts off the flow of water just like a switch shuts off electrical flow. A restriction in a pipe will slow water flow just like a bad electrical connection slows current flow. When that happens you get heat (wasted energy) so anything that seems to be unusually hot (except the ballast resistor) is a possibly a problem.

ya because the switch were i run my gauges from with rear tail lights got warm

ok all of these problems started when i installed my MSD.........drawing alot of power???

also sometimes that stupid buzzard goes off and a little light comes on under the dash... map light? no clue but some werid sypmtoms

What are you using for a power source for your MSD? They draw pretty significant current.

I would run a relay and feed with a 10 AWG wire off the binding post on the starter.

umm im running the red wire straight to the battery and same for the ground wire...bad?

that buzzard was the horn...for some reason, but i disconnected them and it seems to have helped.. some what

-
Back