AlterKtion Set Up

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
I've been trying to dial in my car's stance by adjusting the front and rear coil shocks. I've got an alterktion set up in front and a four link in the rear. The car came equipped with this suspension and was raked too much to the rear. I ended up adjusting the rear springs up three quarters of an inch on both the drivers and passengers side and noted that the difference in thread lengths from the bottom thread to the bottom of the lock nut was only an eighth of an inch from side to side.

Tonight, I finally got around to adjusting the front and I started with the driver's side, which I dropped a quarter inch. When I measured from the bottom of the coil threads to the bottom of the lock nut, I got an inch (after dropping it the quarter inch). I noticed that the passenger side looked pretty good and without adjusting it, I took the same measurement and got an inch and three eighths. My question is should the distance from the bottom of the thread to the bottom of the lock nut on the coils be the same on both drivers and passengers side?

My opinion would be that the distance on the threads is a mute point. What matters is that the car sets level from side to side. I would be measuring from the floor to the underside of the wheel opening at wheel center point, and making them equal side to side.
Just my 2 cents.

Jeez...call Bill.

Actually, last time I had a question I did call Bill and he was excellent. I did mention the thread thing to him and he seemed to think they wouldn't be exactly at the same height.

My opinion would be that the distance on the threads is a mute point. What matters is that the car sets level from side to side. I would be measuring from the floor to the underside of the wheel opening at wheel center point, and making them equal side to side.
Just my 2 cents.

I think that is a good point. I am going to take your advice and adjust it like that and then test drive to see how it rides. Thanks.

Actually what matters is that the ride height is correct for the shock when adjusted. If not you have the wrong spring rate. They should also be within an 1/8" side to side or you will be pre loading the chassis.

-
Back