Alternate alternator?..

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a one wire single v groove alternator for my new truck build..
I would like it to be more than 60 amps at least 80..
I'm not caring about appearance like a small denso or something like that just more so that it fits in the correct spot..
I'm asking this also in a budget-minded way as I know I can just spend a couple hundred bucks at Summit..
Any knowledge or experience would be very helpful thank you...

You can go on eBay and buy a simple 3 wire little box about the size of a half dollar and make your chrysler alt a one wire alternator. even has an adjustment for voltage output.

OP is looking for a higher amp, 1 wire on the cheap.
Yes I know that. A factory square back can easily push that amperage if the wiring can support it. I’ve used that voltage regulator on square backs and got 90amp out put. Honestly I’m not sure how long it could do that but my carbon tester had it screaming. If he wants a lot of amperage for a long time then a purpose built unit is costly but worth the energy- get it “energy” damn I’m funny. happy Thanksgiving!

The reason I'm looking for a photo of where and how you want to mount your alternator will dictate what alternator you can bolt in.

How does your current alt mount?

Photos of current setup
It's a standard 74 360 V8 alternator..
The one I have is two groove and questionable at best. With all the new stuff I have on here I would like something new to start out with..

There you go fresh from the garage..
I'm going to be building a bracket for a modern AC compressor above it in the regular stock position...
PXL_20211125_181545226.jpg

Not 1 wire but the Ford 3g found on 94-95 mustangs and a slew of others (Taurus, Sables etc) is a great alternator. 130 amp stock. Just don't get the 4.6 version, it mounts differently and a Ford V pulley bolts on. There is a 6G (I think) that is 80 or 90 amp and is a smaller case, same deal, car swap the serp pulley for V. I've ran both on a 2.3 turbo and a 460.

More Information for BOSCH AL7534N

How to Identify Your Ford 3G, 4G & 6G Series Alternator

Problem is by the time I buy that alternator change it to a single pulley and add the extra bolt on voltage regulator stuff I'll be close to the price of just buying one from Summit...
The fact is there may just not be an easy way out...

Don't let cutting a groove off of the pulley scare you. I cut mine off with a bolt, nuts, spacers, drill press, cutoff wheel and steady hand. Just remember your PPE. Haha!!

upload_2021-11-25_11-3-54.png

upload_2021-11-25_11-4-12.png

Not a gamble at all, I specifically use these on all my builds. You can modify you factory brackets or buy the CVF kit. I have used them on BB/SB/GEN3. 1993 Suburban 5.7, early gm v pulley (or CVF). bypass the dash, install the gm resistor in the sensing/ignition wire. Done ,and available everywhere cheap. Incidentally, if your doing a SB the CFF kit is worth the money. you also want the 12/4 mounting instead of the 12/6. They come 2 ways , a good example- Remy20457

Last edited:
-
Back