Alternate package tray materials for '68 notch back Barracuda

-

Claudius

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have not yet removed the package tray from my '68 notch back Barracuda. It is faded and I am considering options for replacement. I am not sure I want to replace it with a stock type or make my own out of a hard board material.
With other model Mopars using a metal package tray, has anyone ever fabricated one out of metal for this model year?
Thanks in advance.

I use food grade stainless steel, fabricated by a local restaurant stainless steel sink fabricator. I have package shelf and trunk divider ('72 BBody) and glove compartments ('72 BBody and '65 Formula S). Not your model, but to give you an idea anyway:

DSC00314.JPG

DSC00559.JPG

DSC00411.JPG

DSC00413.JPG

DSC04596.JPG

DSC00962.JPG

Hi all,
I have not yet removed the package tray from my '68 notch back Barracuda. It is faded and I am considering options for replacement. I am not sure I want to replace it with a stock type or make my own out of a hard board material.
With other model Mopars using a metal package tray, has anyone ever fabricated one out of metal for this model year?
Thanks in advance.

Very impressive! It looks great. What gauge/thickness did you use for the shelf and seat back? In the very first image, it looks like there are two layers. Did you keep the original tray and just slide a metal layer on top of it?

That "second layer' in the first foto is just a shadow. The original package tray was falling apart and we had to tape it back together in order to have a template for the fabrication. I don't remember what gauge SS was used, but any gauge is many times stronger than the factory stuff that disintegrates after time. The thickness is most probably 18 gauge.

EdIt: I believe the package shelf does have a second layer, it must me the Thermo-Tec that I applied to the bottom face. The trunk divider also has a layer of Therm-Tec, but it is applied on the side that faces the trunk, not the seat side.

Last edited:
Since this is a public forum, I will share an image I got from the Detroit Muscle web site. The picture shows an insulated trunk divider for the '67 - '69 Barracudas. The site recommends installation with the insulating material facing toward the seat back, thus perhaps providing advice to those wondering which way it should go...

insulated divider.jpg

-
Back