alternator belt

-

gonefishinmdj

Reaction score
Help!! I cant keep my alternator belt on. Fly's off around 5000 rpm. I got a 5 in pulley from Summit but the holes to big. Has anybody else experienced this? I would love to get down the track someday!! Thanks

I presume you've got it tensioned properly, and that you're not using an old, worn out belt. Those would be the most obvious culprits.

The first thing I would tell you to do is to pop the hood, and have a buddy rev it up until the belt flies off, and take note of which pulley it flies off of first, that one would most likely be your culprit.

most likely problem is out of alignment get out a straight edge an make sure your pullys are inline ..... new belts old belts dont really matter all that much... you have some thing out of alignment ....

most likely problem is out of alignment get out a straight edge an make sure your pullys are inline ..... new belts old belts dont really matter all that much... you have some thing out of alignment ....

X2 had that happen to me befor.

My car has the old style water pump, I had to shim the alt. bracket. Hasnt come off since.

Its spinning off the alternator, everything is perfectly lined up. Ive tried 5 different belts, when it comes off the pulley, you cant even touch the alternator pulley its so hot. As long as Iam putting around its fine, as soon as I mash down, it fly's off. All pulleys have been replaced, as well as a new alternator. Iam running a 500 hp 360 magnum. thanks guys

I got intouch with powermaster, The have a pulley that has a deeper groove and a little bit larger diameter that supposed to solve the problem with the higher hp. The tech was great!! they seamed to know exactly what was going on. The part is powermaster 181. I will let everybody know how it goes. Thanks for all the input.

I got intouch with powermaster, The have a pulley that has a deeper groove and a little bit larger diameter that supposed to solve the problem with the higher hp. The tech was great!! they seamed to know exactly what was going on. The part is powermaster 181. I will let everybody know how it goes. Thanks for all the input.
larger will be good, sounds like your over spining it anyway :thumblef:

I put the power master alternater on my stroker last year, and had the same problem. They come with a pretty shallow groove pulley. These strokers rev so fast you could watch the belt stretch and fly off. I had the pulleys aligned so close i swore up and down that wasnt the problem, but i shimmed it until they were aligned perfect and still had the problem. My fix was to find the shortest belt possible, switch to a Moroso deep groove large diameter pulley and tighten the belt to the point it makes me wonder when ill need to replace the bearings.:scratch:

I have a stock style alt on the Duster. Stock pulleys. I take it to 6400 when I go racing. Street or strip. Haven't lost one yet. I'd also say to
check alignment. Try a stock alt for ***** and giggles.

-
Back