Alternator bracket bolt stuck

-

SteveM

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to unstick the long alternator bracket bolt that goes into the block through the water pump and timing chain cover? I sense anymore torque and it will break and nowhere to apply penetrating oil.

Try forcing penetrating around the bolt. Heat the bolt. Tap on it with a hammer. Try working it back and forth carefully. If all else fails, might have to cut off the head of the bolt, then disassemble the front of the engine. Then slide timing cover off the bolt. Then repeat the heat/lube/tapping/etc.

Heat, lube, shock it with hammer, and try to work it out... sometimes I find it works better to try to tighten the bolt to break it loose, then loosen it after breaking it loose...

Just as stated above.

A little outside the box if other suggestions don't work out.......
Could you drill an 1/16" hole or two into the bolt boss of the pump house to get some penetrant in there?

What about lightly tapping an impact driver, to see if you can break it loose?

A little outside the box if other suggestions don't work out.......
Could you drill an 1/16" hole or two into the bolt boss of the pump house to get some penetrant in there?

^^^^^^^, this works, if your changing the pump, grind the boss off and fill with pb blaster. Let sit and then heat the bolt. I do this on 350 Buicks. And those are 5/16", not 3/8"

-
Back