alternator bracket help

-
Reaction score
I have a 76 dart with a 318. The alternator went out and have heard of putting a chevy alternator on but don't know who would have these brackets. I have a 140 amp one wire GM laying around and sense a high amp crysler is rather expensive, might as well use what I have. Anyone know of such brackets or have pics of one already mounted? Thanks, Joe.

sorry, but haven't seen what the brackets look like. i thought a memeber here had one installed, but not sure. you better have good wiring and be bypassing that in series ammeter in the dash unless you like smoke and fire. 140 amps is WAY to much for a car that doesn't have power everything including windows, doors, seats, fuel pump, fans, etc. 75 or below is just fine.

I believe GM amps and MOPAR amps are different LOL
GM 140 amp = Mopar 75 amp or was that horsepower?
But seriously don't run that much amperage you will fry everything electrical.

Moons ago, GM had a universal bracket set that would allow the Delcotron to installed into just about anything. I've used it on Triumph TRs and MGs back in the 60s.
140 amps will fry the ammeter, in fact 80 amps will. I've seen the big alternators on limos, cop cars, and low-riders. There's no telling if the extra amperage comes at the expense of less power to the rear wheels. Nothing is free of some exchange.

Thanks for all the input guys! Yeah, I know its like a mortal sin doing this, but you have to do what you have to do when on a tight budget. Wasn't aware she couldn't handle the extra amps, but I do have a 63 amp also, so I guess I'll try that. A buddy has a universal bracket if he can locate it. Trying to save up enough spare change to acquire a big block at the moment, but will put the CORRECT alternator on. Again, thanks for the advice!!

-
Back