Alternator issues with indy heads

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Had a 408 stoker built and now putting all the hardware on it and found the square back mopar alternator has clearance issues with the iron indy heads. Has any member here run indy heads. Trying to keep it stock looking and not put the gm alternator in. Any suggestions

yeah ..was just thinking that ....will get a shot of it tomorrow, taking a break for the night now.

Here is a pic with the bolt problems ...it is a 408 with indy heads. The bottom bolt of the swing arm that goes into the water pump is 3/8" gap ...if I tighten it...the swing arm starts to bind up against the alternator. The second problem is with the bolt that goes through the alternator to the head. It also has a 3/8" gap and cannot put the spacer in between the ears of the alternator. Both gaps are 3/8" ...belt looks lined up. Is a power mater square back alternator in a 3-wire.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 205
I had same issue with Eddy heads. Had to use the original round back alternator, and even then had to use a slightly longer fan belt to move the alternator over/outboard a little more. If you look at the stock heads they have recesses cast into them that allows clearance for the alternator. The aftermarket just mills the ends of their heads flat. If I had a milling machine I'd just mill some clearance on the front of the head. It only needs maybe .100" taken off a small area to clear the alt. If you have P.S. you might run into issues on the other head too!

EDIT: I was typing my reply while you were posting the photo. I'm not sure exactly what your problem is. I thought you said the alt was interfering with the head. Now you have posted new info discussing a bolt/bracket problem... Sorry, I have no idea what's up with that.

on the water pump side your missing a spacer and that will bring the Bracket to touch your alternator (So that 3/8 space would be gone)

The square back that I'm using has about 1/16 gap between it and the head so that seems to be fine, no problem on the power steering side. I rec'd three spacers with the brackets, I checked on the 69 340 ...it has three and the 69 273 has three spacer also ...I have not seen one with four spacers. The spacer that goes between the rabbit ears on the alternator is not on because it is over 2" long and will not fit in there ....it almost looks like I need 2 spacers in there .... it would go like alt. ear then 3/8 spacer then the bracket off the water pump then 1 1/2 spacer then the rear alt.rabbit ear ..then spacer and finally the indy head ....hope that makes sense. I think the spacer between the alt. and the indy head should be 3/8 shorter which would bring the alt. back 3/8 and solve the front two problems but I don't have anyroom to move the alt. further back.

The square back that I'm using has about 1/16 gap between it and the head so that seems to be fine, no problem on the power steering side. I rec'd three spacers with the brackets, I checked on the 69 340 ...it has three and the 69 273 has three spacer also ...I have not seen one with four spacers. The spacer that goes between the rabbit ears on the alternator is not on because it is over 2" long and will not fit in there ....it almost looks like I need 2 spacers in there .... it would go like alt. ear then 3/8 spacer then the bracket off the water pump then 1 1/2 spacer then the rear alt.rabbit ear ..then spacer and finally the indy head ....hope that makes sense. I think the spacer between the alt. and the indy head should be 3/8 shorter which would bring the alt. back 3/8 and solve the front two problems but I don't have anyroom to move the alt. further back.

In your earlier post, the one with the picture, you said the belt is lined up now. If you move the alternator back 3/8" how are you going to get the belt to line up?

Got it figured out ....the 340 head is recessed in below the valve cover ...therefore the alternator would slide back to the head 3/8" and the two 3/8 gaps would be gone. I used a metal yard stick and the alternator was indeed out of alignment. Made two shams to line up with water pump and crank pulley..... all is good now

I was going to add that moparcrazy is correct. That`s what I had to do to mount the squareback alt with indy x heads.

-
Back