alternator on driver's side small block

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
OK, how many have relocated their alternator to the driver's side on a small block?

How did you do it?

PICS PICS PICS please!

Thanks!

I moved mine to the driver side and mounted the aftermarket Ac on the passenger side using the cast iron water pump 69 and earlier. Vintage air has the bracket. If you use the aluminum water pump you'll save yourself some heart and head ache. I'll post some pic when I get home. If you look at my build thread it has the information in it.

Check out our boosted forum, I think I've seem quite a few of then there

Custom made bracket to locate on the driver's side. Can't see it well but you get the idea.

Clint, I've seen yours. I might end up doing something like that but I might make the bracket mount the pivot instead of the adjuster.

Here's the thing. I have a mechanical fuel pump which has a larger body than any other fuel pump I've ever had. It's a 6 vane capable of pushing A LOT of fuel but it takes up a LOT of real estate down there. If I were to do it again, I would just go electrical. I didn't because of the extra wiring and plumbing but it might have saved me some aggravation in the end.

When I mocked up the accessories, I had clearance issues with the water pump inlet hose, it was right into the fuel pump. I cut the end of the inlet and had it clocked forward a little and re-welded. The angle turned out to be too severe though and now the hose hits the belt.

So over the course of determining what to do, I decided to get an electric water pump which may or may not have complicated things. I chose the Moroso since it was cheaper and came with an integrated backing plate. But, the issue with the Moroso pump is that like my mechanical water pump, the inlet is clocked forward approximately 30 degrees so I am running into the same issue again with the hose hitting the belt.

I looked at the Meziere and actually talked to them about where the inlet comes out and it's in a better position than the Moroso, it's perpendicular to the frame rail. The inlet is also easily clocked on the Meziere while the Moroso requires careful disassembly to re-clock it which I didn't want to get involved with if I didn't have to. So I went and got a Meziere.

Unfortunately, the Meziere pump does not come with a backing plate which is an additional cost over the already more expensive part. In addition, the Meziere is also about an 1 1/2 longer which causes interference with my radiator fan. It was not going to work so I returned it. I am back to square one.

So rather than trying to re-engineer the cooling system, finding or making a bracket to mount the alternator on the driver's side seemed like the least involved. Turns out, it's not really.

The Denso alt. I have is kind of odd in the way it mounts which is causing me all kinds of grief. You can't just flip the brackets either because the pivot has nothing to bolt to behind it. The driver's side head is about an inch forward of the passenger side which leaves very little room. I also have serp belt pulleys which are a tad wider than your average V-belt pulley so I am dealing with about 6 1/2" between the motor and radiator fan. It's tight for sure so I gotta do some figuring to get this to work.

I thought about making a plate to bolt to the head that hangs down so I could bolt the pivot to that but that might not leave enough room.

Moroso makes a bracket kit which is about $135. Way overpriced for sure but if it saves me aggravation, it might be worth it. The one caveat is that it's supposed to work with a mini-GM style one-wire alt. which may or may not put out enough juice for my stuff. (electric WP, dual elec. fans, lights, etc.) The Denso I have now would probably be marginal at best with this stuff so I may have to upgrade anyway.

My head is going to explode.

Not sure if you want more of a race set or street, since your using the small alternator but here is my set up, hope this helps... If you need any more info, drop me a line.

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_0122.jpg

Thanks for posting pics.

I believe I need mine to be a little lower.

-
Back