Alternator Upgrade Which wire where?

-

Eworth

Reaction score
Hello,
Have a 1964 Dart that HAD a Slant Six, orig alternator and voltage regulator.

NOW, late 70's 318. We are installing a 1990 Nippondenso 90 amp alternator and the better VR128 voltage regulator.

Wires go as follows?? For clarification and confirmation.

B+ wire upgraded, fused and ran to the Starter Relay.

GREEN wire from field on alternator to the new Voltage regulator

That leaves one other field terminal. Do I take a wire, connect to that field and ground the other end to the housing of the Denso alternator? Yes or No?

I have a brown wire next to the green that went to the old alternator, where does that go?

Vehicle is at my friends house. Hope to go over later and finish install.

Thanks.

You sure the nip alternator does not have a built in regulator? (What is it off of?)

Now if you determine the alt does NOT have a built in VR,
with a VR 128 you wire it exactly like your 64 was wired

The VR MUST be grounded. MUST

IGN wire to switched 12V "ignition run"

field wire to either field on the alternator

Ground the remaining field wire.

I know nothing of a brown wire to the alternator. Photo? What kind of connector?

Hi. Thanks ! Yes, this alternator does not have an internal voltage regulator. Everything above is exactly the needed info. My friend says the other wire, brown wire leads back also to the voltage regulator. Will look into that some more but you info should do the trick. Thank you for taking the time to get me straightened out . much appreciated.

There was originally no brown wire (to the VR) that I know of. I can't imagine what that was

Originally, green from the alternator field went to the F terminal of the regulator. Only one terminal left, the "push on" one was IGN

There was originally no brown wire (to the VR) that I know of. I can't imagine what that was

Originally, green from the alternator field went to the F terminal of the regulator. Only one terminal left, the "push on" one was IGN

This is good news. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was. Will try the install without it and see what happens. Very much appreciated. Thank you.

Could the brown wire be the wire to the water temp sender?? It's just behind the alternator, and I think it's brown! It has a slide on connector that looks kinda like a spade!!

Could the brown wire be the wire to the water temp sender?? It's just behind the alternator, and I think it's brown! It has a slide on connector that looks kinda like a spade!!

I'm not sure about the early a's, but the 67's and later used a violet wire for the temp sender. But it can look brown when it fades with age....

It depends on what connector is on the end....

-
Back