alternator wiring upgrade

-

cudaboy 67

Reaction score
hope somone finds use of this, a pal sent it to me some time ago when i was having some problems......courtesy of MOPARS BY CRANE.COM

alt wiring.jpg

I am with Ted on this...relay?? that wiring does not make sense and is more complicated than it needs to be.

It's a good diagram, you just don't need the relay. I did the bypass on my 73 and it looks just like the top drawing without the relay. Lights are brighter and they don't dim as much at stop lights.

Since the hot for the alternator field and voltage regulator is not coming from an ignition switched source in the top diagram, the relay serves the same function as the ignition switch. Ignition off no power to alt and regulator therefore no parasitic voltage loss. What this will do is take the voltage drop of the wiring harness out of the voltage sense loop and the voltage regulator will have a straight shot at seeing the voltage at the battery. Would give a more stable voltage for ignition and other accesorries that we tend to wire straight from the battery these days.

-
Back