alternator

-

mopar head

Reaction score
Putting out 14.90@ idle to 15.20 @ higher revs, normal or too much?
Seems 13.5 to 14 would be more acceptable.
I should add that this is a big ol Diehard that has been sitting in my shop, on a trickle/float charger for 5 years awaiting the glorious day to start the 440 again.:)

Putting out 14.90@ idle to 15.20 @ higher revs, normal or too much?
Seems 13.5 to 14 would be more acceptable.
I should add that this is a big ol Diehard that has been sitting in my shop, on a trickle/float charger for 5 years awaiting the glorious day to start the 440 again.:)

A bit high. As I remember, 13.8-14.2 is recommended charging voltage. Could be regulator setting, but first check for voltage drop between ignition-on pin at the ignition switch and the input pin on the regulator. Should be virtually zero drop. If there's a big drop, regulator is trying to keep that lower voltage and the actual charging voltage will be too high.

The charging system should run 13.5-15.0 volts when the engine is running.

Overcharge could be due to a voltage regulator..

A bit high. As I remember, 13.8-14.2 is recommended charging voltage. Could be regulator setting, but first check for voltage drop between ignition-on pin at the ignition switch and the input pin on the regulator. Should be virtually zero drop. If there's a big drop, regulator is trying to keep that lower voltage and the actual charging voltage will be too high.
1 volt or so drop@ both points, maybe I need to get the extra terminal tools I don`t have and clean all the connections in these circuits and the VR will lower the charge rate?

The charging system should run 13.5-15.0 volts when the engine is running.

Overcharge could be due to a voltage regulator..
Before I posted I got a new VR and it`s putting out a tad more than the 72 oem reg.

thanks fellas

1 volt or so drop@ both points, maybe I need to get the extra terminal tools I don`t have and clean all the connections in these circuits and the VR will lower the charge rate?

Before I posted I got a new VR and it`s putting out a tad more than the 72 oem reg.

thanks fellas
With one volt drop between ignition-on pin at switch and the "in" pin at the regulator, you appear to have a resistance through the firewall "box". In my case I was unable to repair that voltage drop, so I installed a relay using the ignition on (dropped volts) to activate a relay and getting the relay's input feed directly from the battery positive post. It takes very little to activate a relay and it doesn't care what the voltage is--within reason, of course. I've had no more issues since installing a relay in my case. This is kind of a "down and dirty" way of repairing a charging voltage problem, but it works and further deterioration of the circuit from the ignition-on pin on the switch to the relay won't cause any problems unless the resistance gets really bad. Then it would be time to replace the firewall pass-through system. Unlikely you'll ever experience this. At least I personally doubt it. We have some people on this site who have been Moparing for longer than I and they have good info.

-
Back