Aluminum /6

-

rarefish

Reaction score
I know they put a few aluminum /6's in 63 Valiants. Did any of them make it into 63 Darts? There's a 63 Dart in the local yard and I'm gonna take my magnet the next time I go, or at least a can of brake cleaner. Back in the late 70's I had a short wheelbase front engine dragster with a 340 on it. The best time it ran was a 9.6 at 168 mph. I've been kicking around the idea of building the same car with a /6 on it. To find one of the light weight blocks would be awsome, Joe.

An aluminum block slant is a poor choice for a drag engine, They suffer from cylinder walking with high compression. The tops of the cylinders aren't connected to anything. Everything I have read from /6 racers says to stick to an iron block for a serious racing engine.
It is unlikely that a 63 Dart would have an aluminum engine unless it was swapped in by a previous owner. They were fairly common in 60 and 61, by 62 almost none were put into cars. Owners didn't change coolant frequently enough and they suffered from internal corrosion problems. That's why they were phased out in just a few years.

Thanks guys, if i decide to mess with this project I'll just stick to an iron block, they're easy to find and cheap. The local yard has 4 or 5 of them at $200 each. They range from the 63 to a 74. Is there a preference of one year over another? Thanks again, Joe.

Thanks guys, if i decide to mess with this project I'll just stick to an iron block, they're easy to find and cheap. The local yard has 4 or 5 of them at $200 each. They range from the 63 to a 74. Is there a preference of one year over another? Thanks again, Joe.

The years you have quoted are good. They have forged cranks. Late in the run, Mopar lightened up the unit a bit in part by using a cast crank. Externally you can spot the difference by the spark plugs on the head. Heavy block, the plugs are in a tube, the lighter one, they are more exposed.

Best years for a Drag race engine are 68-74 (improved combustion chamber)
Best Block is BH.
Other are good too.
See if you can find one for free. $200 is a bit steep.
Just my 02.
Frank

I've had them offered to me in the past for free. The only reason I mentioned the $200 ones was because they are there. All engines in this yard are $200, 4, 6, 8, doesn't matter. Every now and then a big old Chrysler will come in with a 440, and that's not bad for a core. A few months back a 64 or 65 Buick Wildcat came in with a 425 nail head in it. I kinda wanted to get it but there were too many Mopar parts and not enough money, Joe.

I've had them offered to me in the past for free. The only reason I mentioned the $200 ones was because they are there. All engines in this yard are $200, 4, 6, 8, doesn't matter. Every now and then a big old Chrysler will come in with a 440, and that's not bad for a core. A few months back a 64 or 65 Buick Wildcat came in with a 425 nail head in it. I kinda wanted to get it but there were too many Mopar parts and not enough money, Joe.

Joe I feel for Ya !!!!8)
I had a Lincoln with a 429 CoBra jet and Suiside doors slip thru mine about 3 years ago. Bought my Cuda instead.
Frank

-
Back