ALUMINUM 8 blade water pumps for BB?

-

mopower440

Reaction score
Does anyone make an aluminum Big block pump that has 8 blades instead of 6? The only 8 blade ones ive found are cast iron..

water pump.jpg

I don't know but I wouldn't run the pump in the picture. Make sure the impellor is tack welded to the shaft. I got a bad one, it fell off and the engine overheated. It was a faulty run and they replaced it for free but I'm very lucky the engine survived.

Serious question...Doesn't a high volume or high flow unit defeat the purpose of the designed cooling system? Such that the longer the fluid stays in the radiator, the more it will cool as opposed to moving the coolant faster through the radiator the less it will cool?

Serious question...Doesn't a high volume or high flow unit defeat the purpose of the designed cooling system? Such that the longer the fluid stays in the radiator, the more it will cool as opposed to moving the coolant faster through the radiator the less it will cool?

Nope, the more volume you push thru the cooling system the more heat it will get rid of. Moving the water faster thru the system is better than moving it slow.

You do have to pay attention to cavitation so be careful about how fast you spin the 8 blade pump. On a Mopar I'd look at how the factory engineers configured the HD cooling system before I tried to build my own setup. The factory used a combination of pump blades and pulley ratios to increase cooling capacity so if you follow their lead you should be able to build a good system.

-
Back