Aluminum case Identification

-

Moparmaniac40

Terry Allen
Reaction score
I am having trouble identifying the Aluminum case and tailstock of a trans I picked up a few years ago.I don't think it is an overdrive case as it had a 307 front bearing.The trans has 18 spline input, with Liberty gears which are in poor condition.The very front of the main shaft , where the needle bearings ride is destroyed.I have since purchased a complete Hemi 2.66 gearset and mainshaft,.The only numbers on the case are E-2801176. The front Bearing retainer is 3.70 bolt circle with 4.35 OD( PN 2538197).The case has a metal sleeve at the front Cluster Gear Shaft hole but no sleeve at the rear hole.Also have an Aluminum tailstock with no identifying numbers or Markings.The side cover is Steel with Number C95664 and below that 11X30.
I have included some pics , hoping someone can help identify the parts.
I plan to use this behind a 500 HP W2 340,in a 72 Street/Strip Scamp.
Should I just go with the Passon Case and Tailstock?

Attachments

• DSCN0450.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN0451.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCN0452.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCN0453.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN0454.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCN0455.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN0456.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 285
C95664 - ball & detent style side cover plate for 1964 to 1970

2538197 bearing retainer for 1966-67 18 spline transmissions with 307 front bearing, 4.354" outside diameter, 3.70" bolt circle

a-body tail shaft.

are there any numbers on the right side of the case on a small pad will be stamped and not forged into case?

There are no other numbers any where on the case, Is it possible that this is the Direct Connection case, since it is not the overdrive case?

it is possible that it could be a DC or liberty case? It could be an old race hemi case '65ish I think they used them, but I cant find much info on them.

Do you think this case will be strong enough for my 500 HP Small Block?,Should I just purchase the Passon Aluminum case and tailstock?

You might want to talk to Jamie at passon or contact brewers (I would). It could be an Uber rare case? tail shaft is already a-body don't think you'll need that. See what they recommend from what you have.

I have a very similar case and tail with no casting numbers at all. A body also. Unstamped pad.
I haven't been able to find out any information on mine.
I don't believe mine is a direct connection case as it doesn't even have the Chrysler star cast on it. My best guess is aftermarket. But who?
Nice parts you have there. If I were you I would put them to use as I have with mine.
:burnout:

I would use this case and tail housing. Just don't run a solid trany mount. Pm sent

-
Back