Aluminum Components

-

MIDart

Reaction score
I just rebuilt a 1976 360 put Edelbrock, Performer RPM Heads, Cam, with air gap intake, and 750cfm Carb. in front of it have a Aluminum radiator, and was wondering if I need to run additive or anything in the coolant for the aluminum items. I have seen somethings for it but have been told both ways. Also what PSI Radiator Cap should I run? Any opinions?

Thanks

as long as you run at least 25% anti-freeze and use DISTILLED water you will have no issues...

the minerals in regular drinking water help start the electrolysis process...

the radiator manufacture will have a max rating for the radiator...

My alum rad came with an 11# cap, would it depend on the t-stat temp? Higher t-stat needs higher pressure cap I'm only guessing

no it has to do with boiling point... the higher the t stat cap the longer, or hotter the engine will have to get before it will boil over... aluminum rads can take more pressure so they get a higher psi cap

From my understanding, it would be beneficial to install a sacrificial zinc anode some where in your radiator...There are radiator caps available that have them built in...You can get a zinc rod from your local boating supply as well...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-32060/

the zinc anodes are good but i think they are more disigned to be used in cars not running coolant/antifreeze(some tracks are outlawing the use of coolant/instead they are using some water wetter stuff)) so the anode helps keep it from starting electrolysis...

still a good call tho

A coworker who has two classic Mercedes told me (when I told him I was replacing the stock radiator with a Champion aluminum one and installing new Edelbrock aluminum heads as part of the 340 rebuild) to stop by the Mercedes dealership and buy their coolant. Mercedes supposedly has used aluminum components for decades and their coolant is designed for use with this material.
Thoughts/comments on this? Made sense to me.

A coworker who has two classic Mercedes told me (when I told him I was replacing the stock radiator with a Champion aluminum one and installing new Edelbrock aluminum heads as part of the 340 rebuild) to stop by the Mercedes dealership and buy their coolant. Mercedes supposedly has used aluminum components for decades and their coolant is designed for use with this material.
Thoughts/comments on this? Made sense to me.

Yes, I have thoughts/comments on this..... All the auto manufacturers have been using aluminum components for decades at this point.

If you like your coolant in a Mercedes jug at 4 to 5 times the cost, go for it.

65TerrorCuda,
Recheck your cap. It probably is stamped 1.1. Can't remember what the radiator guy said that was but it's not 11.

Yes, I have thoughts/comments on this..... All the auto manufacturers have been using aluminum components for decades at this point.

If you like your coolant in a Mercedes jug at 4 to 5 times the cost, go for it.

So you suggest displaying the Mercedes coolant jug at car shows as a trophy or status symbol?(lol):
"Look at me; I paid four-five times more for this than I should have because a guy on our forum said I should."

Still doesn't answer what I consider to be a legitimate question.

When using an Aluminum radiator, should a different coolant be used?

just check the jug it comes in. it should say if it's ok for aluminum. i haven't checked lately, but i'd be supprised any NEW anti freez wouldn't be ok for it

-
Back