Aluminum Flywheels Good Or Bad

-

Dana

FABO Vendor
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
I'm looking to free up some ponies and fuel milage. Whats the life expectancy compared to a steel flywheel. Any pros and cons would be much appreciated.

They have steel wear surfaces so I wouldnt be afraid of running one if I could afford one.

Because of the different expansion rates of steel versus aluminum, some are known to loose the ring gear. Fidanza is notorious for this, but later versions are doweled to supposedly overcome this. I wouldn't want one on the street merely for drivability reasons.

S.F.I. tested/approved = good.

home made, modified, unbalanced, spot drilled, hacked steel or aluminum = bad. will cut your foot off bro.

and dont use a cracked flywheel ever

meh that's a big debate people chewing over 10hp at the wheels or .1 sec on a quarter not worth the time to type haha. they work, minor difference, cost money, etc. less of a launch from dead stop drag racing but faster in/out if you are autocrossing etc. there are other mods that give way better performance for the buck. if you already have it apart you could go either way but probably not worth taking the tranny out to replace it unless you are putting in a fresh clutch etc.

if you are trying to pinch every ounce and every bit of HP out of a car, then yes go that route.

Drivability reasons????
My experience in this doesn't come from v8 RWD cars, so I can't tell you exactly at what point it makes a difference, or how much. But the inertia of the flywheel makes it easy to drive. You have to apply more throttle on takeoff, or at least be more careful with the lower rotating mass of a light flywheel. I've driven a car with a lightweight flywheel, and I didn't like taking off. Granted I didn't drive it enough to get used to it. And there is an advantage of easier rev matching between gears. May not matter to you, but food for thought. The flywheel in my current DD (Mini Cooper) is a bit too heavy. I don't really like that, either. But without custom machining, my choices were to go slightly over, a lot over, or a lot under. I chose slightly over. This is because I intentionally mis-matched parts that never came together from the factory.

And at the end of the day, I would bet you will never see enough of a fuel economy boost to cover the cost of the part, so I wouldn't factor that into the equation too heavily.

-
Back